Flinders Ranges Accomodation

Bailey

The Flinders Ranges is a pretty big area so I'm not sure which part you are visiting. I can suggest Melrose - a pretty little town that is starting to wake up to the benefits of tourism. The North Star pub (one of two) is a favourite with my kids for the magnificent food and they do have rooms available (boutique type apparently but wonderful old-fashioned horse-drawn caravans too). The nearby caravan park has some pretty basic ensuite cabins that we found fine for a couple of days. There are several small towns throughout the Flinders that will have pub accommodation or caravan parks. You would need to stay in a bigger place for a proper motel - such as Port Augusta. Not far from Melrose is a beautiful National park featuring Alligator Gorge which is worth a visit. After that is a small town, Wilmington, and then a short drive to Pt Augusta. Melrose is a great starting point as it is easy to get to, is about 3 - 3.5 hrs drive from Adelaide, has the beautiful Mt Remarkable as its backdrop and caters to the tourists without being touristy. However, beware of speed cameras on the drive down particularly around Laura and Stone Hut. If this is not the general area you want to visit, let me know and I can suggest other parts. I grew up in the mid-north, 10 minutes from Melrose.

Tracey

We (4 adults) are going to Rawnsley Park Station the weekend before that. We booked a few weeks ago and got the last available unit by sheer chance. As it's school holidays it's been fully booked out for ages. You could try the Wilpena Pound Resort, or if you want to go to the north FR try Arkaroola, but unless you are going to go with a tent and camping gear, I don't think you'll have much luck as it's a bit late now. Sorry!

We (4 adults) are going to Rawnsley Park Station the weekend before that.

Rawnsley Park Station is great if you want somewhere outside of the small towns. There are some moderate/easy walks around the area and the view is amazing.

If you want to go on a good 4WD tour I recommend Derek's 4WD Tours. He is based in Hawker but can pick you up if you're at Rawnsley Park (at least he did when I was last there).

http://www.dereks4wdtours.com/

Guest Kazzarazza

I reckon you can't go past Rawnsley Park Station. Wide variety of accomodation, from caravan & camping to luxury. Woolshed Restaurant is very good. Sunset tour with nibbles and champers is worth a go for something special.

http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/

Also stayed at the Quorn and Hawker caravan parks. It was 10 years ago, but at the time, Quorn was heaven compared to Hawker. Things may have changed and if others have been more recently I'm sure they will correct me.

Try and fit in a lunch at the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna - this is a jewel in the middle of nowhere. They also do accommodation these days which I hear is very good.

http://www.prairiehotel.com.au/

The whole area is magic and wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Kazza