glenelg

Guest charlotte rees

Guest charlotte rees

Hi all

Me and my oh and 2 kids are hoping to be in oz by feb 2010. my 14 year old son is not happy about it as he doesnt want to leave his friends. We have been looking into Glenelg area could any one tell me what the area is like for teenages, is there lots for them to do,

Thanks guys :unsure::confused:

what sort of things does your son like to do? Glenelg is of course beachside, so there is the sea. There are sports clubs, an outdoor swimming pool in Marion. It is a 20 min tram ride into town. Not far away is Marion shopping centre, a large indoor shopping mall, with cinemas and ten pin bowling. The Marion council area holds Blue Light Discos for under 18s which are run by the police.

Guest charlotte rees

Thank you very much that is very helpful. I will tell my son hopefully it might make him feel better about going. He loves to swim and bike riding. The disco sounds good he wil love that too. Do you no what areas are better to live, glenelg, north, south etc thanks again

charlotte :)

Hi and welcome to the site.

I am sure your 14 yr old will love it out here. I remember when I was 15 and my parents moved me to Scotland, I really didn't want to go but soon made loads of friends.

There is so much outdoor and sporting activity here and once he has made friends (which is the key) I am sure he will thank you for it.

Good luck

Andy

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi

Glenelg is a great area ( i would say that cause we live in Glenelg!!!) you have the beach, the shops, restaurants all on your doorstep and the tram link to the city!!

Its busy and full of life, the main square and jetty rd are always full of young people so even though i cant tell you all thats available it is a very "young" area unlike some of the suburbs that are not.....

Adelaide and Aus defo encourage young people to get involved with sports/clubs and ive spotted so many football teams, surf clubs, rugby clubs etc so im sure you could easily find stuff to get involved with.

The holdfast bay website in pretty useful:

http://www.holdfast.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?a=9

Glenelg is lovely, lots going, quite vibrant place . My district nursing round is there and i love it, certain areas can get a wee bit smelly in summer (more north past marina) due to the sewage pipe that goes out to sea. Property can also be a little bit expensive there also but if your not bothered about being too near jetty road it gets cheaper. Id move there tomorrow but ive signed a lease for 12 months but am considering a move up that way next year , loads of nice areas around there though ie marion, plympton park, glengowrie, somerton park, brighton (all near tons of facilities and things to do).

Guest charlotte rees
Hi

Glenelg is a great area ( i would say that cause we live in Glenelg!!!) you have the beach, the shops, restaurants all on your doorstep and the tram link to the city!!

Its busy and full of life, the main square and jetty rd are always full of young people so even though i cant tell you all thats available it is a very "young" area unlike some of the suburbs that are not.....

Adelaide and Aus defo encourage young people to get involved with sports/clubs and ive spotted so many football teams, surf clubs, rugby clubs etc so im sure you could easily find stuff to get involved with.

The holdfast bay website in pretty useful:

http://www.holdfast.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?a=9

Thanks for the info. can you tell me what the schools are like in the area are they quite close by. do you have children your selfs :)

Guest charlotte rees
Glenelg is lovely, lots going, quite vibrant place . My district nursing round is there and i love it, certain areas can get a wee bit smelly in summer (more north past marina) due to the sewage pipe that goes out to sea. Property can also be a little bit expensive there also but if your not bothered about being too near jetty road it gets cheaper. Id move there tomorrow but ive signed a lease for 12 months but am considering a move up that way next year , loads of nice areas around there though ie marion, plympton park, glengowrie, somerton park, brighton (all near tons of facilities and things to do).

thank you very much that is a great help. can i ask how far are you from glenelg then.

Guest charlotte rees

Hi There

I have a 14 year old son and a 8 year old daughter and just want them to be happy when we get out there which area do you think would be better for older children.

Many Thanks

Charlotte

Guest Andrew&Ren

I dont have any children so cant help with the school thing....Glenelg is a really good area so i would imagine the schools are a pretty good standard.

We live right in the heart of Glenelg just off Moseley street off Jetty Rd.