Surf School/ Beach Safety clubs etc

jo_marnes

Hi all,

We heard about some surf school/ lifesaving clubs that run from the lifesaving clubs when we first got here and were told they start around October. Looking to get my kids involved but have not seen anything about them and have not been able to find details online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jo xx

Guest guest569

That will be "Nippers" My kids go to moana nippers. the press were on the beach today taking photo's for next weeks messenger. Sign up should be mid oct. I think it all starts the last sat of oct this year.

Quote from Brighton Surf Life Saving club web-site (Nippers section)

"Nipper Information

• COME N TRY Sat 17h Oct & Sat 24th Oct 1:30 pm. Parent & child must sign a Waiver for the session.

• First Full Nipper Training Day: Saturday 31st October 1.30pm on the beach

• Note: any first time nippers or those that were not registered last season, must have a completed Waiver form before the nipper can take part in any activity. If you are in this situation, please be at the Club in plenty of time to get the form done so your nipper is ready to go to the beach by 1.30pm."

My two daughters are planning to go along to see what it's all about. They are 12 and 11. How old are your children?

Wendy

Hi When we first arrived my eldest son who was 5 at the time went to Seacliff Surf lifesavers - think they started there at 4 or 5, it was run really well and he really enjoyed it. The last 2 summers we have been to Southport but are looking at joining Aldinga this year as we have moved further down south, Southport too is great although the parking isn't too good and you have to carry all your bits and pieces some distance!

Lindsey

Thanks everyone - that wasn't on the website when I looked so I must have been too early! Do they have to be good swimmers? My son is 6

Jo xxx

Don't know how good they have to be. Mine aren't bad swimmers - swam for their town club back in the UK but I guess we'll find out later in the month.

Wendy

Guest guest569

My kids are fantastic in a pool but are really hesitant in the sea. Hopefully a few years of nippers will give them confidence.

They don't really go in much over their chest depth till they are aged 9 and competing for the club.

Guest graandjac

Swimming dosen't matter as the kids have the choice to do the water side of things ....as in (how far they want to go out) depending on their confidence , at Southport the kids are encouraged but never pushed......You are doing the best thing by getting involved, the surf clubs are a great place to meet real Australians. It always give the parents a chance to get involved rather than just sitting and watching, so go for it which ever one you decide on. Just remember Southport is the best one......hehe;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest569

Looks like a busy year at moana beach this year. It was sign up day today and there was a good turn out. Loads of new faces all keen on getting their kids wet every saturday afternoon over the summer.:notworthy:

Guest donna T

Don't forget Port Noarlunga - or the Porties as we are now known. Come and try started last week and will be on tomorrow at 945am Pt Noarlunga Beach. Truly a wonderfull way to spemd Sunday mornings and get involved. My 5 and 8 year olds love it.

xx

Guest donna T
:pcome on guys, when it comes to the competition side of things there is only one place to be.......................Southport;)number one on the mid coast.

:nah: PORTIES rule Gra - you should know, watching them swimming their little hearts out on a Tuesday night!

Can't believe they were all in the water this morning - it was bloody freezing! :notworthy:

I stood on the beach in a fleece and jacket encouraging my little darlings into the water in just budgies and a rashie - wicked mother! x

hey Donna, I'm hoping to get Luke into it this year, someone at work who's a lifesaver at Southport said they take them to the pool to learn swimming, is that right?? Don't know what club to take him to either :goofy:

Jackie

Guest graandjac
hey Donna, I'm hoping to get Luke into it this year, someone at work who's a lifesaver at Southport said they take them to the pool to learn swimming, is that right?? Don't know what club to take him to either :goofy:

Jackie

To swim on a tuesday night with Southport at the Noarlunga pool, the kids MUST be able to swim 25 m unaded, then yes everyone is welcome,they do help them but it's not just a swimming lession its also training for the competion swimmers, but dont let that put you off:)

Donna , cold it was bloody freezing , I was on water cover and even with a full winter suit on it was cold........but iam as bad as you I soon kicked the kids in with just their bathers.....!!!:shocked: