The Flinders Ranges

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

We've just had a few day exploring the Lower and Middle Flinders Ranges including around Wilpena Pound.

What can we say???

Stunning / amazing scenery/ lovely locals (when you see some)

Very different to the areas surrounding Adelaide - something like the "proper" Australia.

Bordering on the Outback as well.

Never seen as many Emus and LOTS of roadkill.

We only had a few days there but we'll be back next Autumn and then Spring - I'd strongly advise NOT to go in Summer,it will just be too hot.

As it was it hit 32c one day but very windy and dusty.

Well here are a few pics and continued through a few more posts as I can only get so many on each post

Image146.jpg

Image145.jpg

We too are just back from the Ranges. Agree that it is difficult to do justice to the amazing scenery on a photo.

We stayed at Rawnsley and then Arkaroola. Arkaroola was amazing, but we did a tyre on the way up and then another on the way back! There is a workshop there - luckily! Don't underestimate the rough roads. We set off with a spare but felt very vulnerable when we got a blow-out with 70km of desert road to go.

At Arkaroola, we stayed in a motel room. It was excellent. The food in the restaurant was too, and cheaper than at Rawnsley.

The campsite looked like a scene out of Mad Max when we got a sand storm. No shelter or trees. I would give it a miss.

All in all, a superb week. Sure makes you realise what a big place Australia is.

N

Guest cazzie

Thanks Tyke for sharing these lovely photos. I've often heard Aussies talk about the Flinders Ranges and recommended them and now I can see why. Must get these onto my 'to do' list. Gorgeous.

Guest Guest75
We too are just back from the Ranges. Agree that it is difficult to do justice to the amazing scenery on a photo.

We stayed at Rawnsley and then Arkaroola. Arkaroola was amazing, but we did a tyre on the way up and then another on the way back! There is a workshop there - luckily! Don't underestimate the rough roads. We set off with a spare but felt very vulnerable when we got a blow-out with 70km of desert road to go.

At Arkaroola, we stayed in a motel room. It was excellent. The food in the restaurant was too, and cheaper than at Rawnsley.

The campsite looked like a scene out of Mad Max when we got a sand storm. No shelter or trees. I would give it a miss.

All in all, a superb week. Sure makes you realise what a big place Australia is.

N

We didn't go as far as Arkaroola - saving that and further for next time.

We went South as well to Pt Augusta,Whyalla and a diversion via Iron Knob (boy is that place in the land that time stood still!)

That was on the Weds - dust storm day,very eerie.:huh:

I'd been warned about the tyre situation -next time I'll be taking 3 spares and a repair kit ( one where you "stab" a plug into the leak)

Guest rachinadelaide

We love Wilpena! Great campsite and a pub for those cold winter nights (we won't go in the summer - too hot and too many flies!). There are superb walks that start from the campsite. We've done most of them and the best (in our opinion) is the hike up to St Mary's Peak. Hard work but unbelievable views (if you've not climbed into the clouds as we did on our second climb).

You should sign in if you are doing this one as it's a long day and you want someone to know where you are if you don't come back!

We've found it's a nicer drive to Wilpena if you get off the main roads. We go through Clare and Jamestown, then Orrorroo and Hawker. It's all on sealed roads but fewer cars (and trucks).

We're having withdrawal symptoms as we've not been this year....

We're just back from a short trip to the Grampians, and can recommend that too if you like walking, clambering up rocks and waterfalls and the most stunning views. Probably about the same distance as the Flinders Ranges - about 5 hours drive - and another option for Spring or Autumn breaks (wouldn't fancy it in the summer because of bushfire risk).

We stayed at Emu Park where Vicki, the owner, runs the local fauna rescue, so the kids got to bottle feed the three orphan 'roos she was rearing, as well as fishing for Yabbies in one of the ponds.

Highly recommended.

Guest Guest75
Thanks so much tyke for sharing those pics ! how many kilometres did you do ??

Is it okay to go in a normal car ??

A pleasure,I really am taken with the place .

We did around 1800 kms in 4 days,most of it was getting there and back.

You can easily travel around the main areas in a normal car just ask at the local info centres or friendly pub ;) where to go.

Guest Guest75
Just come back from Wilpena and must agree it's a stunning place. Just wish we could stayed longer and done more exploring :(

Bloody hell - we were ALL up there I reckon!!:biglaugh:

Guest nishman
Bloody hell - we were ALL up there I reckon!!:biglaugh:

LOL - you were spotted by a member of our party when you were on you're way back down:goofy:

I'm sporting a dappled gold coloured 4b4 (normally silver), and have vowed not to wash it until this weekend, so that I can drive around and park in the CBD and show everyone that "yes, actually, I DO go off-road in it":biglaugh:

Rawnsley Park Station is a great place to stay:

http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/

Derek's 4WD tours are really good as well:

http://www.dereks4wdtours.com/

Winter is the time to be up there. You're crazy if you go there in summer I think...

I was up there in the middle of 2007 (and have been wanting to go back since!).

Here are my photos from the Southern part of the ranges:

http://photoden.net/oliver/v/Holidays/FlindersRangesJuly2007/

:)

Guest Guest75
LOL - you were spotted by a member of our party when you were on you're way back down:goofy:

I'm sporting a dappled gold coloured 4b4 (normally silver), and have vowed not to wash it until this weekend, so that I can drive around and park in the CBD and show everyone that "yes, actually, I DO go off-road in it":biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

My rego is easy to spot.

Same here - we had a really dirty car and then the rain washed it!!

Well...we're already planning a trip for October long weekend next year. We were going to book one of the holiday units...but are now thinking of camping. Friends of ours have a huge tent...and obviously camping is alot cheaper...

Where would people recommend for camping? Rawnsley Station....Wilpena? Any advice much appreciated.

By the way....I have never camped in my life!!!! Sad...but true....I will probably have done a bit by the time we get to Flinders though....