Brown snakes are waking up

Diane

Just to make newbies aware, if you're walking in a park or near long grass or through the dunes by the beach, OH saw a Brown Snake down by the river this morning when out with the dog, so looks like despite our coldish weather, they're a-wakening! With all the rain, grass is pretty long all over at the moment, so worth taking just a little extra care.

Don't want to start any panic, and this is in fact the first ever brown snake either of us has seen in the park in five years, although one of us walks there every day with the dog, but we've always known they're there, and apparently they can be a little grumpy when they first wake up (can't we all!) so just thought I'd post a "heads up"

Guest Rachel10

I've lived here for 28 years and I haven't seen a snake yet - and I live in the south/western hills. Sometimes hear others talk about them, mainly near creeks, but if you're worried - shake your keys when walking - that frightens them away, (apparently!)