Great places for family walks

Diane

Following on from Tyke's great thread about the Flinders Ranges for a short break, I thought I'd start this thread so people can add their favourite places for short and long walks in and around the area. Great time of year to get out and about with the family, lots of wildflowers out at the moment, and not too hot for walking.

As I put on Tyke's thread, we're just back from a great break in the Grampians - about 5 hours drive away but some fantastic walks through woodland, up gorges, and hunting waterfalls.

Bit closer to home, we went for a walk up into the Blackhill Conservation Park yesterday, started off walking through Linear Park to the end, then up the hill. Fantastic views, wonderful wildflowers, caves, rocks, beautiful birdlife and quite do-able for kids (unfit Mums, well that's another question, but I made it!!) Took us about 3 hours all in (door to door), including picnic stop at the top.

Morialta Gorge is another one of our favourites - there's an easy walk that's possible with a pushchair (or old folk visiting) or two more challenging options, and again the Falls are great this time of year and there are some fairy wrens to spot, plenty of parrot-y birds, and always a koala or two.

Only disadvantage from my point of view of both the above is that no dogs are allowed! Seems such a waste, all that walking with no dog....

Still, get a little fitter, wear the little darlings out during the school holidays, and costs nothing - can't be bad!!

Guest Rachel10

The Encounter Bay Bike Track down at Victor goes all the way from Victor Harbor to Goolwa and is magnificent. The whales are at Bashams Beach at the moment and putting on some spectacular displays (one was doing somersaults yesterday!) Victor Harbor is one of my favourite places, but it can be very cold this time of year.

Guest Anne29

My fave has to be Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary (we went yesterday) It has a few walks around the place and the plus side of that is that you get to see lots of Wildlife - Kangaroo's, Koala's, Wallabies, Rozella's (sp?) etc etc. It's also free entry. The only thing they charge for is if you want to see the animal show's, which are optional.

It is up in Adelaide Hills, so probably not that close for most people, but well worth the effort of going!

Guest Anne29
I love Warrawong - do they still have the restaurant up there and do the night walks/meal package do you know? Might take my folks there on their next visit...

They do, we had lunch there and it was yummy! They still do the packages where you can stay overnight and do the night walks but not sure how much they cost.

Guest Guest75

Good idea Diane!

One special place is the Onkaparinga National Park.

A lot of people don't know about it.

Lot's of different walking trails with varying degrees of difficulty.

The views over the gorge are lovely,you feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere,Roos and Echidnas easy to spot.

I've put the link on but it's a PDF file - best info though.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/pdfs/BROCHURE_ONKAPARINGA.PDF

:):)

The Encounter Bay Bike Track down at Victor goes all the way from Victor Harbor to Goolwa and is magnificent. The whales are at Bashams Beach at the moment and putting on some spectacular displays (one was doing somersaults yesterday!) Victor Harbor is one of my favourite places, but it can be very cold this time of year.

We love Victor Harbor too and you can go accross the causeway to Granite island and have a wander...check out the fairy pengins and seals!! Hoping to live in this area if we ever get there.

Goolwa is nice too...appeal for my other half is the brewery!!!:biglaugh:He will walk anywhere if there is a pint at the end...