When do the Pandas arrive

Diane

Guest Here at last!

Hi Diana

I read on the web that they have been delayed for 10 days due to a public holiday in China so now the opening will be December 13th.

We were at the zoo yesterday and it looks like they still have a lot of work to do.

Sonya

Guest The Pickles

Perhaps while they're at it, they could update the big cat enclosures... absolutely shocking seeing large animals like that pacing up and down, particularly the Persian Leopard. The hippos are in something the size of a small swimming pool.

Shame really because some of the zoo enclosures are quite nice.

Guest nishman
Perhaps while they're at it, they could update the big cat enclosures... absolutely shocking seeing large animals like that pacing up and down, particularly the Persian Leopard. The hippos are in something the size of a small swimming pool.

Shame really because some of the zoo enclosures are quite nice.

I know a lot of the animals are on a rotation with the "zoo" at monarto and (clelend to i think) and the reason for a lot of the development is to give the animals that are there more space (thinning out the residents). It's a problem with old zoos as they have to adapt to modern thinking of what is acceptable (the current enclosures would not have been frowned upon in years gone by). I'm not trying to say that it's acceptable, but that there is a (historical) reason for it and they are doing something about it. I guess if you're the smallest city zoo, there will be some realestate issues...:)

BTW If you think the zoo is bad for enclosures - do yourself a favour and don't go to Cuddlee Creek:shocked:

The monkeys always seem happy though:) and they're my favourites!

Know what you mean about Cudlee Creek, lovely setting, and great drive out there, but feel so sorry for the big cats they have, and it doesn't seem right to feed 'roos sweet biscuits - can't do their teeth any good and too much of a temptation for my kids to do the 'one for you, one for me' thing which doesn't seem all that hygienic!!