Visiting Snake!!!!

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

We had our first snake sighting of the season yesterday:swoon:

Mrs Tyke was looking out of our bedroom window and saw a baby Brown Snake sat on a sleeper in the garden.:arghh:

I quickly donned my jeans and boots and carefully went out to see it.

I certainly did not want him getting out of our sight.

As soon as he felt me approach he dived under the sleeper.

Not a good place to get him out so we decided to get the snake catcher out - we had some friends arriving shortly as well!

Mrs Tyke rang Snakeaway services while I kept an eye out for the snake - I kept tapping the ground nearby which made the snake keep hidden.

Friends turned up as we were waiting for the snake catcher - talk about extra entertainment!

The snake catcher turned up promptly ( within the 30 mins quoted)

Boy these blokes know what they are doing!

He casually lifted the sleeper and said "there he is".

The snake was very fast and managed to elude him until it dove into a hole in the brickwork.

The snake catcher then sprayer something in to the hole that apparently annoys snakes ( as if it was not that already)

Out it came and this time the snake catcher manager to pin it down so he could get hold of it.

They don't kill the snakes but release them safely elsewhere.

Best $135 I've paid in a while!!

Here he is...................

Image178.jpg

Guest Mrs Brentus

I haven't seen a snake yet and reallt don't want to!. I got bit by a white tip in my first week of arriving, so i think i have had my share of the local wildlife for a while.

Not sure I'd pick it up like that even if I was a professional snake catcher - those things can kill you very quickly. The venom has neurotoxins in it so it paralyses everything (heart and lunges included). Second most potent venom in the world :shocked:

Guest Guest75
Not sure I'd pick it up like that even if I was a professional snake catcher - those things can kill you very quickly. The venom has neurotoxins in it so it paralyses everything (heart and lunges included). Second most potent venom in the world :shocked:

We were very respectful of the little critter but the snake catcher was quite relaxed and nonchalant .

He had another snake in the van - 2m long!:arghh::arghh:

Guest Team 'W'

tyke you have all the fun according to my kids ..but this time im glad i wasnt in your shoes ...

but keep the pickies cummin theyre great.

Anyway wheres the invite to tea after all them fish you caught!!!!

Guest Guest75
tyke you have all the fun according to my kids ..but this time im glad i wasnt in your shoes ...

but keep the pickies cummin theyre great.

Anyway wheres the invite to tea after all them fish you caught!!!!

:biglaugh:

We do seem to get more than our fair share of "Fun" don't we?

Most of the haul last week was smoked.

A lot in the freezer now ;);)

Tyke

You do seem to be in the knowledge about the local critters. Have you any idea what this spider is. He was in our house last night. Hubby caught him and put him out in the garden. We didn't fancy splatting him / her in case it exploded everywhere.

Ta

Mel

xx

Guest Guest75
Tyke

You do seem to be in the knowledge about the local critters. Have you any idea what this spider is. He was in our house last night. Hubby caught him and put him out in the garden. We didn't fancy splatting him / her in case it exploded everywhere.

Ta

Mel

xx

He/she looks like a Huntsman I reckon - good for eating bug/flies and Redbacks :)

It would have been a messy splat!

Guest nishman

Yep - it's a SMALL one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

(although to be fair, most of the ones that I've seen have been about the size in your photo - it's the leg span though...!)

On the bottom of the wiki page is a piccy of one getting attacked by a wasp. My second hunstman experience came though one of these. There I was watching this vivid red/orange bug buzzing around above me in the pool thinking how lovely it looked when - plop - mr huntsman decides to swan dive (landing right next to me!) and run for it across the water in the pool in an effort to evade the wasp! I decided at that point that I'd had a long enough swim and that I should probably go inside for a rest ;)

Not seen many recently (says he temping fate) - they all seem to be wolf spiders at the moment around our place (similar size, slightly shorter legs and darker/black colouring). They have the added bonus of carrying their (live) young on their back... So if the mortien get the mother and you go to move her to the bin, the young will make a dash for it in their hundreds. I speak again from experience.

Aren't we lucky to have such wildlife :)

Thanks Guys.

We thought it was amazing to see a spider that big and couldn't bring ourselves to kill it. When Jim put a beaker over it, it jumped into the beaker, and that made us think it was a huntsman, but we weren't sure as we thought the legs would be longer.

Mel

xx

P.s

Tyke, sorry to hijack your thread :notworthy:

xxx

Guest Guest75
Thanks Guys.

We thought it was amazing to see a spider that big and couldn't bring ourselves to kill it. When Jim put a beaker over it, it jumped into the beaker, and that made us think it was a huntsman, but we weren't sure as we thought the legs would be longer.

Mel

xx

P.s

Tyke, sorry to hijack your thread :notworthy:

xxx

No worries,this happens a lot - if it ever gets silly the thread can be split.

BTW - should see the stick I'm getting in the Aussie forums.......... "Ya call that a snake???":wacko::skeptical:

Guest Guest75
Excellent thread Tyke, I love reading and seeing all about the widlife over there

Thanks, not sure if I enjoy all the wild life here.

One of my terrors are sharks. I'd stupidly wrapped the anchor rope are the propeller the other day.Thought I might have to go for a dip - in an area where a 6m Great White hangs around:shocked: Fortunately managed to unravel it with the gaff.

It really is not all bad with the wild life BTW , some spectualr moments to be had just watching all the parrots or whales or even Dolphins ( yes Tracey they do exist);)

Guest k8bug79

Right I've not really researched the snakes element of Adelaide, trying too much to ignore the Huntsman which is my main concern. I am not really worried about snakes but with 3 kids i am concrned about the idea of them now I know the Brown snake is there. How often on average are snakes seen and are all snakes there dangeous? Which ones are the ones to look out for?

Guest nishman

To date - I've only ever seen 1 flat one on the road. We've recently moved to our new build a stones throw from a creek, so expect to have my first encounter shortly. They're not everywhere, but if you go looking, I guess you will find them ;)

As with all things, long as you apply some rationale / sense (don't go fishing about in rocks or under metal sheeting for instance), any snakes will be long gone by the time you get near them.

There are dangerous snakes here (any google search of australia and snakes will show you that), the most common (and probably most dangerous) in the aldeaide area being the brown snake. I haven't got the stats, but as with deaths from shark attacks and the like, you're far more likely to be killed crossing the road :)