Coorong National Park and Naracoote Caves?

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Just wondering if anyone has been to these places? I have read a lot about them and think we should incorporate them in to our Great Ocean Rd trip - but not sure whether they're appropriate for a 1 and 3 yr old in tow???

Any help/opinions are appreciated! Thank you in advance! :)

Not been to the caves but have stopped a couple of times in Narracoote. There is a park with a big train that the kids can climb all over - lets them out of the car and have a run around. It's a pretty town but unfortunately for us we are normally there so early or late in the day that most things are shut! When we first arrived we drove up through the Coorong, it was more interesting, with loads of bird life than the other road but as we are normally in a hurry we stick to the long straight roads through the centre.

Julie

Guest LOOBYLOO

We stopped off at the caves. I wasn't that bothered about going but got out-voted by fed-up kids and hubby. We were all really impressed. Our youngest was 8 - not sure if little ones would be that interested.

Guest Aussie pat

Hello there

Naracoorte caves well worth a visit - but as already identified, your tiny tots might give it a thumbs down at their age.

Coorong - we've only passed through previously, but are going to book ourselves in for a boat trip run by Coorong cruises http://www.coorongcruises.com.au in a couple of weeks time. Again might be pushing it as far as the kids are concerned. Trips are 4 and half hours (Mon and Thurs)or 6 hours (Wed and Sun). Office is at Goolwa wharf but not sure whether depart from there or Hindmarsh Island. Should be great way to see the Coorong as it's all about dunes wetlands and wildlife. Also takes in the Mouth of the Murray and aboriginal sites, I think.

Maybe when they're older?

Guest nishman

The caves are well worth the trip - there are various caves to go down, and you can tailor the visits to suit your wish lists / time. One of the caves (the "free" one) had fairly steep entrances (not good for babes in arms), but I think the main ones (including the fossil ones) were well geared up for families.

We "did" the SE a couple of years ago, and based ourself at Millicent. We came back along the ocean road (not the great ocean road, but still quite stunning) - Southport, Robe, Kingston etc and the Coorong. We then took one of the access roads across the Coorong - very eerie seeing marker posts in the middle of the seabed (ok - salt flat). Unfortunately, we needed a 4x4 on the other side to navigate the steep dunes to get to the ocean itself. There's walking trails dotted along the way too - maybe not so good for pushchairs though...

Guest Lulujim

Thanks all so much for your replies - am thrilled as I didn't think anyone would reply at all!! :)

I think after reading the posts we'll give them a miss this time - we're not leaving Australia so maybe we'll do the caves etc when the girls are school aged.

Appreciate you all taking time to impart advice - thank you! :notworthy: