Aires Rock Experience

Guest Roo1

Ian and I have just come back from Aires rock this week. We only had a 5 day break as we had guests coming to stay in our rental, so only had a small window of opportunity to get there and back in time.

We began our journey on Saturday at 3pm. We would have liked to have set off earlier in the day but again work commitments ment that this was the only time.

We headed straight for Coober Pedy. I pre booked a room at Coober Pedy Underground Experience Hotel which was recommended by an adbrit on here. It cost $160 for the night but was well worth it as it really is great sleeping under ground in the cave rooms.

We got to the hotel at midnight, so a good 9 hour drive from Adelaide.

I really wouldn’t recommend driving on the outback roads after the sun goes down. :nah:Roo’s and cattle are on the roads, as the surface is still warm for them. We had a few close misses but saw a lot of road kill due to the road trains that don’t stop for anything.

The next day we drove to Aires Rock. It took us another 8 hours to get there. I was very impressed though at the quality resort at Aires rock. We stayed at the campsite and the facilities were top notch. Just a short walk away was the resort local pub which had entertainment on and you could buy your steaks and cook them on a huge BBQ.

Aires Rock itself was amazing to see. More than a big red rock for sure. We took so many photos especially when the sun was setting, the shadows and colours were spectacular. Ian climbed it. It took him 2 hours there and back. He’s quite fit but was knackered by the end. The flies there too, really got on my nerves. I saw a girl with a corks swinging from her hat and was quite envious of her fashion faux paux. I sooo wished I’d bought one too.:wubclub:

We stayed for 2 nights at the campsite. It cost $30 to pitch a tent. There were huge fridges you could put your food in whilst you went out for the day, which at first I thought was a great idea. But unfortunately my great faith in man kind costs us a huge slab of steak, as it was pinched from the fridge!!!:o

The journey back was just as good. We went further past Coober Pedy this time (Glendambo) and ended up at a motel costing $70 for a budget room. Ian spent a couple of hours drinking with the locals whilst Tom and I went to bed for an early night. The whole town only had 20 people living there and Ian must have talked to half of them that night.:goofy:

So all in all, I’d recommend the trip. The road journey was loooooonnnngggg but we loved the outback and seeing the changing landscape. However, when my parents come over I’ll be taking them via train or plane as I don’t think I’ll be able to stand my dad pointing out yet another Roo at me.

Judi x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Wow, well done Judi. Would really love to do this trip and will in time - this seems like a great time of year to do it because it won't be so hot there. Can't wait to see some of your photos.

See you soon.

S

Hi Judi, What a great thread. You're very brave doing it by road but what a great experience. OH & I wouldn't be so brave we will probably go by plane or train when we eventually get out there. The kids would probably drive us mad asking "are we there yet" all the time!!!!

Lorna. x:D

Guest chillyanna

hi judi,

great post you wrote, sounds like you really enjoyed your trip.

it brought back memories of my trip the in oct 2002. my visit to uluru started from the backpackers hostel in alice springs at 5am on a adventure tours mini bus, me and about 12 multi nationals making the 3 or 4 hour trip down, we also saw kings canyon, stayed at the campsite in a bush tent, had the camp fire, toasted marsh mallows got drunk a little! next day got to uluru at 6am for an early start before it got too hot only to be told by the park ranger the climb up uluru was closed due to high winds:sad:.

so i did the base walk instead that was just as good. had a great time there and cant wait to go back again. great memories. shame we cant post photos on this site.

cheers

paul

Thanks all for the replies and I must appologies for my spelling of Ayers Rock and its most kind of you all not to mention it, even though I'm sure you were itching too!!! lol

Its quite funny actually, as the reason I subconciously spelt it that way was due to Thomas, my 4 year old.

I spent most of our time there explaining to him that the rock was not filled with AIR, it was a huge rock and solid. Therefore, the spelling AIRES rock just stuck in my head and unfortunatly I typed it like that.

Paul, I'm glad you had a great time there too. When my hubby and I were back packing in 2000, we had a choice of doing The Great Ocean road on the Groovy Grape tour bus or going up to Ayers rock.

We chose The Great Ocean road, so thats why it was a must to do it now. I would have liked to have gone to Alice Springs though. But I'm sure they'll be a next time.

Cheers

Judi x