Australias Deadlist Animals

Guest Lauren & Alan

Guest Lauren & Alan

I am wanting to use the time before we make the move to investigate which animals are the most dangerous (aside from the obvious sharks and crocs!!!)

My question is does anyone know of a good picture book or website with the different types of spiders, snakes etc so I can identify which ones are safe as I cant seem to find much on google?

Many thanks

Guest Carolandcraig

Keep an eye out on Sky 3, they often have australias deadliest animals, ranging from jelly fish, blue ring octopus and of course our favriots the red back, funnel web and white tip/tale spiders.

Guest Lauren & Alan

That's great thanks Michelle, just what i was looking for!

http://www.anoble.com.au/Spiders/SpiderID.htm

Take a look at this. Found it on PIA whilst looking through the photo albums, the link was provided by 'ShaunWilson'.

We have printed it off, shows really good pictures of spiders with where found etc.

When I was reading it I kept shivering LOL.

Happy reading :jiggy:

Guest bugbabe

Thats very useful, thank you. Dont like the way they shake on the page though, makes me shudder!

I know I will see spiders, but how many am I likely to see in, say, a month?

Urgh, hate the things!

Guest Guest1495

sharks arn't even close to being a deadly animal in terms of threat to humans, white tails and red back spiders are dangerous and around suburbia but by no means deadly when bites are treated properly. South Australia is probably one of the safest places to live in oz, the only deadly animal in Adelaide is the brown snake which would rather run away than confront a human. I'd say we are by far the deadliest animal in the world, the local habitat doesn't even come close, more people die here crashing while avoiding koalas.

sharks arn't even close to being a deadly animal in terms of threat to humans, white tails and red back spiders are dangerous and around suburbia but by no means deadly when bites are treated properly. South Australia is probably one of the safest places to live in oz, the only deadly animal in Adelaide is the brown snake which would rather run away than confront a human. I'd say we are by far the deadliest animal in the world, the local habitat doesn't even come close, more people die here crashing while avoiding koalas.

And the red bellied black snake, the tiger snake, and the pygmy copperhead - in and around Adelaide. In parks, gardens, sand dunes etc etc

Blue ringed octopus - small and deadly - do not let children poke about in rock pools!

Stone fish - beware what you tread on in shallow waters.

Thats very useful, thank you. Dont like the way they shake on the page though, makes me shudder!

Urgh, hate the things!

Depends where you live etc and the type of house some houses get more spiders than others. You can Mortein bomb your house and use a barrier spray or get proffesionals in twice a year. We have seen a few spiders mostly white tips. Check out this thread

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14473&highlight=spider

I am getting used to them but every time I see something I kill it! (except the huntsman we relise them into the garden as they kill the nasty spiders)

Michelle

estate agents and some car sales people should be on the list.

Emu's, kangaroo, and of course koala should be on there too.

some Car dealerships can be added to that list let alone the guys who work for them....:arghh::arghh:

10 of the worlds most deadliest snakes are all rssident in Aus....we have been here nearly 2 years and we have onle seen dead snakes...a fair few spiders....and no sharkss....as yet !!!!!

HG

Guest Guest1495
And the red bellied black snake, the tiger snake, and the pygmy copperhead - in and around Adelaide. In parks, gardens, sand dunes etc etc

Blue ringed octopus - small and deadly - do not let children poke about in rock pools!

Stone fish - beware what you tread on in shallow waters.

your right I should have said common animals we had seen, I guess my point was while I don't yet know all the species out there, you shouldn't really worry about australian animals just respect them and be aware they live here as well.

your far more likely to get stung by an estate agent ;)

Guest kangomik

:) the quite often spotted Professional Driver should be on the list, easily identified by the P hung in the front and rear windows of the vehicle.

These are real beasts and very unpredictable when they get close to you:confused:

Guest The Dimmocks

Urgh, hate the things!

I didn't like the way they moved either, my husband thought I was going mad, when I kept saying that one just moved. LOL

I don't mind spiders, I'm the spider mover in our house. Never killed one yet, maybe will kill a few over there though (only the nasty ones).

Guest MarkIngram

Anyone coming over is always advised to read about the spiders etc and have a mental note about what to look for...but do not fear them!!!

My first encounter with a Redback was in the garage - I was moving some mats and there was a big female protecting her egg sack and a male close by - I knew there was a chance in coming across one so whenever I am in the garage I take care in how I handle things and move things....as beautiful as the spider was it got the mortein treatment and was soon dead.....the garage then got a bombing just to clear anything else that might have been lurking (another was found the next day).

Since then my spider kill is over 100 Redbacks (I managed to find a hatching egg sack hence the number)...and 1 white tail.

If you do find a Huntsman in your house - don't kill it!!! they are fairly harmless and keep other nastier beasts away....so carefully capture it and put it outside your house (if you can't face the idea of letting it live in your house that is ;) )

Snakes - best advice is if you see a snake - leave it alone...if it is a brown snake in your garden then call for the pro's to remove it for you - especially if you have kids....they are not to be messed with at all.

Guest Lauren & Alan

I think I am going to have to toughen up a bit as being vegetarian I have never killed anything (except flies!) and had no intention to start doing so once in Oz but as a mum of course if I think it's something that could harm my children then things may have to change! .....has anyone tried using ultrasonic spider repellers? We had moles in our garden and they worked to send them away!

Been out in Oz almost 2 and half years and only seen a few redbacks (never in the house), one huntsman and that's been it. Watch me log off here and see something nasty now:biglaugh:.

Just to let you know, you'll not see funnel webs here as I think they're only native to Sydney.

Huntsman are only scary due to their size, they will bite if provoked, but they aren't poisonous!

I always keep mortein spray in the laundry and for anything that I'm unsure of, I use it immediately.

Hope this helps.

Guest rachinadelaide

We have heaps of redbacks in our garden - We have had them in the house a couple of times (one made a web in my sandal - that was a bit scary!) but we leave them alone and so far (touch wood) they have left us alone. We don't have kids though so we don't have that aspect to worry about.

We had a huge huntsman on the outside of our car windscreen once. It disappeared and neither of us would get out of the car for fear of attack.... eventually we had to make a break for it. We found it a few days later squashed in the door.

Found a 5cm long dead cockroach in the remains of yesterday's coffee when I got to work this morning. That will teach me to do the washing up before I go home....