Coober Pedy - Anyone been?

Mel.R

Guest smit

Your either love it or hate it. Definately worth atrip imo.................so different............complete crap hole ......but soooooooooooooo different. Stop in ubnderground motel , go to to good museum thingys.Old timers mine is just one.

I describe it as.......................' if you were in a coma and woke up in Coober, youd think a nuclear bomb had gone off ' :D8 1/2 hour driving time so a long way..............2/3 days there is ample

In what way do you mean a complete crap hole? Sounds a bit like a Mad Max scene then!

Was thinking of taking a trip out there Public holiday weekend in June. Just trying to way up whether it's worth making the trek out there.

Ta

Mel

Guest smit
In what way do you mean a complete crap hole? Sounds a bit like a Mad Max scene then!

Was thinking of taking a trip out there Public holiday weekend in June. Just trying to way up whether it's worth making the trek out there.

Ta

Mel

It just looks like it............no greenery just stone and rock, 50 years of scrap in peoples yards......and mounds and mounds of dug out rubble...........which if you want yiu can go noodling in.......that is the public noodling bit, you end up walking around looking at the ground to see if you see shiny opals.Theres a golf course there...........with no grass!!!!Theres some nice scenety on the drive up as well. The salt lakes not far from port augusta.

We loved the place. we stopped at the radeka downunder in the family rooms.

Yeh......a bit mad max like!!!!

Haven't been there for many years (visited in 92 and 95) but then it was a totally weird place like nowhere else. A bit like Mad Max, a bit like the Wild West, or like something from an old episode of Doctor Who!! Might be a bit more civilised now but it was just like a load of buildings dumped in the middle of a quarry. Rocks and stones everywhere, lots of corrugated iron. When I first went there with a girl friend backpacking we didn't feel comfortable walking around at night, there was litter everywhere, empty wine casks strewn around the place, abandoned cars, so we stayed indoors. Second time was just an overnight stay at the Desert Cave motel which is very expensive now, but a fantastic experience to sleep underground. All the museums/tours etc were really interesting. Maybe go and visit Woomera while you are up there, and I've always wanted to visit the Breakaways which are near there (they were in Priscilla Queen of the Desert). There's plenty to see and do around Port Augusta too if you want to break up the journey. Definately worth a visit!!!

Guest glitter

HI, definatley worth a visit, dont spend anymore than 2 days there and thats a maximum. No flash restraunts or cool bars, just a one road town through the weirdest place ever. Its how I would imagine an outpost ont he moon!! We stopped for one night each way to and from Alice Springs - Now Alice Springs - thats another story!!!!!!

Have fun, we stayed underground and it was really good, the kids loved it. We also did a bit of off road driving and got a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere, bit scary as there is very low mobile phone coverage. Make sure you let someone know where you are off to if you do take off.

Guest glitter

7 hours constant driving Cooper Pedy, stayed over night then the same drive again to Alice springs. Ayers Rock is another 4 hours from Alice springs (so we didnt go unfortunatley as we were over driving by the time we got there). What we paid in fuel we could have flown direct to Alice. The drive is interesting at first then dead boring for the kids. Outback is pretty bleek.

Alice Springs is expensive, not pretty, intimidating and would feature in my top 5 worst places I have personally ever been on holiday. Maybe its different if you live there but hey ho, thats just me!

7 hours constant driving Cooper Pedy, stayed over night then the same drive again to Alice springs. Ayers Rock is another 4 hours from Alice springs (so we didnt go unfortunatley as we were over driving by the time we got there). What we paid in fuel we could have flown direct to Alice. The drive is interesting at first then dead boring for the kids. Outback is pretty bleek.

Alice Springs is expensive, not pretty, intimidating and would feature in my top 5 worst places I have personally ever been on holiday. Maybe its different if you live there but hey ho, thats just me!

Thanks - it's good to hear reviews of places before you go!

Mx

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Been to coober twice now and I would go again! It is the most unusual place I have been!

The breakaways is a nice place to see, and the best tourist mine is toms working mine just on the main stuart highway, right by coober pedy.

First time there we just stayed over night so had 2 half days, I would say 2 full days is plenty, unless you want to play golf!

Johns pizza palce is the best pizza i have had anywhere in the world, shame he doesnt deliever to Adelaide!

I walked out at night there and didnt feel worried at all, but I think it used to be that way, but there a lot a police compared to the amount of people there.

Go there with an open mind!:jiggy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Its from a film that was filmed there with ben elton I think, cant remember the name of it though....damn now I am going have to google it!

Googled it ! It was Stark.

Guest panther
As the title says - anyone been to Coober Pedy for a trip away? Any feedback will be great.

Thanks

Mel

Great to visit to see the real australia , definately stay in an underground Acomodation its an experience you wont forget, visit the breakaways just out of town, visit the underground Church and the home(if it its still open to the public) with the underground swiming pool.

On the way there stop at Port Augusta with its arid Australian Native Garden.

Also stop of at Woomera that certainly is worth a visit and you can stay there bok first in a place called Eldo. You can also drive if you wish on to Roxby downs about an Hour away.

Have done that trip many times for work and at the right time of the year and depending on the past rainfall the wildflowers are just magnificent.

The road is bituam all the way not like many years ago it was just sand oh memories

Guest TraceyT

We were there in 92, as backpackers, thought it was a very interesting place. Actually walked past Ben Elton on the main street whilst he was filming Stark (still never seen it!) I heard somewhere that there could be an overnight train from Adelaide, which would make the journey more pleasant for kids. We are defo going to visit the place again when we land in Oz.

Well worth the visit.

hi we loved alice springs ,just goes to show were all different

it was just how i would imagine the old australia would be ,the people

espically the aborigines quiet scarey and loud

the school of the air was great ,royal flying doctors was worth a look

just the feel of the place was good

well worth the journey , just loved the scenery .

We were there in 92, as backpackers, thought it was a very interesting place. Actually walked past Ben Elton on the main street whilst he was filming Stark (still never seen it!) I heard somewhere that there could be an overnight train from Adelaide, which would make the journey more pleasant for kids. We are defo going to visit the place again when we land in Oz.

Well worth the visit.

Thanks. Might try and find out about that train, would be easier than driving.......