Thread: Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island

Hi folks,

As you may know we are coming to Adelaide next week to validate our visas. One of the things we have planned to do is go to Kangaroo Island to see the fairy penguins.

Now, is this trip worth it??? Is it expensive?? and is is best to do it as an organised tour. We are not allowed to take our hire car on the island.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I think you may mean Granite island at Victor harbor. they are worth seeing but as they only come back to the island at dusk it makes it a long day.There is a good cafe/ restaraunt on the island so you can sit and relax and have a meal whilst your waiting for the sun to drop. Keep your eye out for the seal that is always hanging about the jetty at the cafe !!!

31 times
      The penguins are on Kangaroo island.....funny watching my boys running on the beach in the pitch dark with their pjs on armed with torches and there they were a wee family of penguins....cool moment...we loved kangaroo island but there is so much to do and see.....any questions just ask

4457 times
      I'd be saving KI until you are here perm.It's a huge island and the ferry trip is not cheap.
      You could take over a week and not see it all.

McLaren Vale, SA
      133 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
      I'd be saving KI until you are here perm.It's a huge island and the ferry trip is not cheap.
      You could take over a week and not see it all.
      I agree with Tyke. We recently spent a long weekend on KI, loved it & plan to go back again. Fantastic place. It's huge - 155KM long!!! Day trips can be done from Adelaide but it would be a very very long day & just a whistle stop tour. You really need to stay for a good few days, if not longer to really appreciate what it has to offer. We stayed in an isolated cabin & had roos & wallabies coming right up to the door.

If you want to see Fairy Penguins, then Granite Island at Victor Harbour is worth a visit. They do penguin tours at dusk & also have a small penguin rescue centre. Times vary depending on the season. Take a look at the website.
      Granite Island Recreation & Nature Park : Home of the Little Blue Penguins in South Australia

Whilst we were waiting for the tour to start, we watched the dolphins & seals in the harbour. It's an easy drive to Victor Harbour from Adelaide & you will get to see some of the Fleurieu Peninsular too.

We've done both - at Kingscote (KI) and at Granite Island. Both are pretty good and at this time of year you don't need to stop up so late with young kids (remember to rug-up though!).
      As others have said, the Granite Island one is probably the way to go - you can get the tickets from the tourist information office that's next to the Granite Island causway in Victor Harbor.
      KI is well worth the visit, but probably best done at leisure (we spent a long weekend there at that wasn't long enough). I remember the Sealink bus (the organised tour) was following around the sight seeing spots (Seal Bay, Remarkable Rocks, Admiralty Arch etc).