Whales!!!

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Hi.

Information wanted please.

Where is it quite likely to see them? When is is most likely to see them?:GEEK:

I live in the north east suburbs so will have to travel to presumably victor harbour to see them, so ideas for timing would be good. Could anyone suggest somewhere cheap to stay to increase my chances of seeing them? :jiggy:

Any help much appreciated. (the catfish in wynn vale dam don't count!):sad:

Sarah

We saw three whales just off the beach @ Port Willunga on friday....

The best place to see them when they are around is down at Bashams Beach thats in between Port Elliott and Goolwa.....

Take your camera and take some great shots....last years the most we saw down there was around 10 whales its amazing in around 30 mins.....

HG

Guest guest3462

June and july are the most popular month to spot the whales and the best places we have found are Basham beach (take a wind breaker, flask and binoculars) and Port Elliot, we also saw some at Victor Harbour from the top of Granite Island. There are sightings all along the southern coasts with some being spotted this weekend in Port Willunga, but it is a bit early in the season yet to guarantee a sighting. Victor harbour tourist information centre usually run a boat trip every year where they say they guarantee at least one whale sighting, but just check with them as last year the boat was moored for most of the season for repairs and servicing etc.

You can also ring the whaling museum in Victor Harbour for latest sightings or google the australian fisheries dept.

HTH

JC

This is the site to look at for info on sightings:

SA Whale Centre - Whale Watching Information For Victor Harbor, South Australia

It's lovely to see them, a very humbling experience

PS If you get any good photos, look out for the upcoming competition called the "Prints of Whales" - I read about it in the paper this weekend, prizes of up to $1000 for the best pics apparently

Details coming on this page soon: http://www.victor.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=493

Guest Team 'W'

we went in september to see them, out of this world ,and so big ....it was fantastic to see mum with baby so close to the beach ...it will leave you in awe, we too went to port elliot ,the best part is when they flick there tails up in the air....and then the water spurting up in the air from their blow holes..such an AMAZING SITE !!! it is a must to see ...enjoy

elaine x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PhilC

Saw one near Port Elliot yesterday, it's been spotted everyday for the last few days in that area. If you go to Freemans Knob you're a bit higher up and can see further. Take binoculars, they are sometimes quite far out. There are seals swimming around in the surf near the rocks too - nice to see them in the natural environment for a change.

I will take the video camera next time and stick something up.

cheers

Phil

We saw three whales just off the beach @ Port Willunga on friday....

The best place to see them when they are around is down at Bashams Beach thats in between Port Elliott and Goolwa.....

Take your camera and take some great shots....last years the most we saw down there was around 10 whales its amazing in around 30 mins.....

HG

Nah, that was Mrs C and two of her mates:)

Got a work colleague who surfs down at Bashams and he's been with in ten feet of a tail flipper. Can't wait to take the kids to see them, that will be an experience I didn't know about until I came here.

Cooler

• 3 months later...
Guest Scrappin' Julie
just seen 2 whales inside the reef at port noarlunga right beside the jetty :0) amazing creatures......

OMG! Are they still there do you know?? I could get there in 10 mins lol!

Guest Tterrier81
just seen 2 whales inside the reef at port noarlunga right beside the jetty :0) amazing creatures......

thanks for postin this, after reading me and the mrs jumped in the car and drove down there, and what else can i say other than "amazing"

how beautiful it was seeing them there playin around and im sure at one point one of them waved to me!!

this could be classed as a once in a life time moment, thanks for sharin the info

Guest Scrappin' Julie

Wow thanks JoMark... I went down too - just beautiful to see. (I was there with my 2 kids and dog on the jetty!) typical though that my batteries ran out on the camera but still got a few shots :D They hung around for another hour then just disappeared.

Guest Scrappin' Julie

When I was at the jetty at PN the fishermen there were saying that whales have been off Hallett Cove for the last few days :)

Don't you just love the local wildlife? (Beats a boring grey squizzel any day of the week lol)