English fish n chips - down south

Guest stokiedownunder

Guest stokiedownunder

we been down south for a couple of years now and last year got to taste proper cod n chips ( yes english cod n chips ) from the chippy in reynella 'Browny's'

for a good few months now they havent been able to get any in but yes....................

get on down there ive been today and treated myself and the mother-in-law and me lil lad to cod n chips and have got to say it just tasted like it did 7 years ago in sunny stoke-on-trent.

so if you fancy proper fish n chips give Browny's a try in reynella i promise ya ya wont be dissapointed, they even do english haddock too amongst theyre fresh fish and shellfish they sell , whatever you fancy fish wise they surely have it in here.

anyway theyre soon to be doing mushy peas and good old curry sauce, oh how my missus ( she's australian ) loved curry sauce n chips in the uk

anyway i know this is a bit of a plug for Browny's but they really are top notch grub down there.

Cheers

Tony

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, thats good to know. I used to go to the chippy at Port Noarlunga but the standard has dropped off a bit there, its getting more like Barnicle Bills which makes my stomach turn...all that fried food, yuk.

Looks like its Browny's for our Friday night supper!

Cheers Tony :)

Judi

Guest stokiedownunder

hi there please let me know what you think

i honestly think theyre superb the cod and haddock is to die for seriously

cant wait for the curry sauce and the mushy peas

hope you enjoy friday anyway

Tony

Guest Guest75

You are my best friend now mate if that chippy is as good as you say.:)

Where in Reynells is the shop??

I only live down the road in Onk Hills.

It's one of the few things I really miss here in Oz.

I really miss Haddock / Cod.

Last year when I was back over there I overdosed on fish & Chips.

Mrs Tyke is over visiting at the moment and has promised to tease me on Skype by showing me a plate full of fish,chips and mushy peas:arghh:

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!

reynell road from Panalatinga end, turn right at the lights, past woolies, next parade of shops on your left, tucked back a bit, opposite Woolcocks dress shop and next to Annies Cafe.

They are pretty good there, but the last time I got excited about the english fish and chips there, there were loads of bones in it, which may not put most people off, but I don't like to find bones :err: so didn't try them again (but have been there for other fish and chips which are good too)

Guest DanandJanna

Can't wait to try the chippy out, like most people we miss cod and haddock. This might be a stupid question but do they ship the frozen fish from the uk? And good news about the mushy peas, simple pleasures! Cheers

you can easy do the mushy peas, foodland (and maybe some others) sell the green peas they are by mckenzies and you just cook them up as you would. foodland and coles also have bachelors mushy peas, if you need a fix they are about $1.40 a can. cans are with the english foods bit, dried peas are normally at the end of the soup aisle, with the split peas, lentil etc. They also freeze well, as make enough for 2-3 meals

Guest DanandJanna

Cheers I hadn't thought of making them at home, might give it a whirl. We have bought the canned variety here itl just be good to order them at the chippy!

Guest stokiedownunder

Cod today had not one single bone in it so no complaints what so ever and even my fussy 2 n half year old even sampled some .......... shows ya how good it is !

sorry but i cant stop raving on bout the place its a little hidden treasure the owner even showed me some fresh smoked haddock he had yes i was tempted to buy it maybe later in the week when weve done our weekly shop at woolies i might have to pop in again to top up the freezer !

http://www.brownys.com.au/

enjoy

Guest Guest75

Last night Little Tyke and I had Haddock,Chips (fat ones) and mushy peas.

Very nice:)

We'll be going again.

The owner is a nice bloke and trying to get as much selection in as possible.

Bet I can't talk him into frying in beef dripping though:cute:

Guest DanandJanna

Had haddock, chips and mushy peas from Brownys yesterday arvo and they were very good, surprising how well the fish has travelled, definetely be going back. We'v got rellies from brisy visiting in a few weeks who haven't had cod since leaving scotland a few years ago, theyv requested a trip to Brownys asap! By the way Tony I hope you are getting your fish suppers free, the lass said they nearly sold out on Friday after the shop appeared on here! :)

Guest WhatNow?

For those in the NE suburbs, Uk style chips available at the Chicken Shed near Fasta Pasta at Holden Hill. Just make sure the don't spoil 'em by plastering them with chicken salt!

I live 30 metres away from Browny's but I don't eat fish!!! That will go down well with all the fishermen on here!

My OH and his friend were there every day when they were renovating the Old Reynella house. They took advantage of the lunch specials (typical tradies!) So much so that they used to get extra servings for free!

My teenagers are always there as well.

We are selling our Old Reynella house and the family will soon have to travel here for their fix!

I will pick up their latest menu and see if I can scan it in and post it on here.

Tamara