adelaide heat

Guest brookesy

Guest brookesy

Hi all PIA,

I dont know if i have posted this thread in the right place.

We are coming over to adelaide in october, my wife is a bit worried about how the kids (7+5) will cope with the heat. I know adelaide summers can get very hot and my kids are fair skinned. If anyone can give me some tips on how they helped their kids aclimatise to a real summer i would be very grateful.

Cheers in advance

Brookesy:chatterbox:

15 WEEKS TO GO EEII ADEO 15 WEEKS TO GO

October is a good time to come as it is only just warming up. It will ease you into the summer nicely as it gets warmer then hotter. It is not so much the heat you have to worry about, but the strength of the sun, even on cloudy days. From Oct to end of March, it's recommended to stay out of the sun between 9 and 3, and to cover up with sunscreen and a hat if out in the day. Basically it's a matter of shirt, hat and sunscreen. The sun can be fierce here and can burn midsummer in 10 mins, especially at the beach where the rays are reflected.

Lots of primary schools have "no hat no play" policies so the kids will quickly get into the habit of putting on a hat every time they go out. Just get in the habit of having tubes/tubs of sunscreen by the sink so it becomes second nature to slather some on when they're in there doing their teeth in the morning, and keep some in your handbag and some in the car for when you're out and about.

On the beach, most people (kids and adults) wear 'rashie' shirts (and long board shorts) to keep covered up - I can always spot the unaware new arrivals on the beach as they're the ones with kids in skimpy bikinis! As for the heat, most places have air conditioning, but if you are in a rental (for instance) that doesn't, head for a shopping mall or the cinema on a really hot day and use their cooling instead, and keep your beach trips for after 4pm, which is a great time to go anyway as the sea will have really warmed up by then.

HTH

Guest guest3462

Diane, you hit the nail right on the head!! When we arrived we were typical Brits - Straight to the beach with our factor2 to get a tan.......now 18 months in, we have huge vats of factor 30+ everywhere and one in the car, and the kids always wear a hat. In fact they won't go out the door without them!!!

We arrived in January, straight from -4c in London to 44c in Adelaide and the kids were fine, they adapted much quicker than we did. They were tired for the first couple of weeks, but we put that down to jetlag more than anything else. We just made sure that we topped them up regularly with water.

October is a fine time of year to get here, just warming up nicely from the winter - - - it's a bit nippy today a mere 16c!!!!

Forgot to add, make sure they drink plenty of water too - really dry climate here and dehydration can really sneak up on you. In the summer, lots of kids' parents freeze their water bottles overnight, so it acts as a cold block in their lunchbox during the morning, and they have a nice cold drink by lunchtime.

Hi all PIA,

I dont know if i have posted this thread in the right place.

We are coming over to adelaide in october, my wife is a bit worried about how the kids (7+5) will cope with the heat. I know adelaide summers can get very hot and my kids are fair skinned. If anyone can give me some tips on how they helped their kids aclimatise to a real summer i would be very grateful.

Cheers in advance

Brookesy:chatterbox:

15 WEEKS TO GO EEII ADEO 15 WEEKS TO GO

Hi

If you are fair skinned it is really important to cover up. I know some fair skinned Aussies who are now in their 40s and 50s and their skin looks like they are in their 60s or 70s!!! Blotches and blemishes, red patches and of course all the skin cancers that have to keep getting cut out. If you've got fair skin it's not worth the risk.