Great Ocean Road - HELP PLEASE?

Hi

I have been searching around for a car hire company that won't rip us off and has a car available for us to travel between Melbourne and back here. I am going mad :arghh:

I am hoping someone on here as done it and as a leaflet or flyer from a company that could help us out.

I need a car that seats at least 6 people! it is too expensive for 2 cars and not what we were looking for. Looked at all the major companies and none have a large car available for that trip!

Really want to do this and booked the flight now so we have to find away, please can anyone help? :sad::sad:

Thanks

Michelle

Guest WhatNow?

Have you thought about renting a campervan? - this site has 6 berth vans - and with the low cost of camp sites along the GOR it could work well for you. I have to say when we travelled this rout last year the Maui vans looked very clean and comfortable. Less hassle with taking them Interstate too as this is what they expect you to be doing.

Camper Travel Australia, Campervan rentals, Motorhome rental, Station wagon Hire

PS they have a depot in Adelaide (Sir Donald Bradman Drive) too so should be no difficulty dropping it off when you arrive here.

Apparantly you can get some very cheap deals relocating hire cars from one place to another - it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

See

www.Transfercar.com.au

www.drivenow.com.au/onewayrentals.jspc

www.relocationcarrental.com.au

Motorhome rental campervan hire - Apollo Motorhomes Relocation List for Australia and New Zealand

http://www.atn.com.au/carhire/relocations.htm

Apparantly you can get some very cheap deals relocating hire cars from one place to another - it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

See

www.Transfercar.com.au

www.drivenow.com.au/onewayrentals.jspc

www.relocationcarrental.com.au

Motorhome rental campervan hire - Apollo Motorhomes Relocation List for Australia and New Zealand

auto car rental, cars,camper,rv, motorhomes and limousine rentals in Australia

Thanks for this had a look and one has a Kia Carnival for the journey so now just need to decide car or camper lol can't wait thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Guest charlot

Hi,

We did a 3 day car hire from Melbourne to Adelaide with AVIS for $188 including GPS and unlimited milage. Avis Car Rental - Rent a Car and view Car Rental Deals Our car was only for 5 people though:-(

Trip itself was beautiful. I enjoyed Apollo Bay walking tracks along the coast and the Otway National Park has a beautiful rainforest!

Enjoy your trip!

Guest Taylors08

Hi, been very interested reading this.. Does anyone have any opinions on when would be the best time to do the great ocean road? and how many days would be good to do it in. i have 2 young kids.

Kelly x

Guest WhatNow?
Hi, been very interested reading this.. Does anyone have any opinions on when would be the best time to do the great ocean road? and how many days would be good to do it in. i have 2 young kids.

Kelly x

I've done it at Easter which was good as not too hot, then did it again in early December, which was ok last year as it hadn't got really hot by then (no saying it won't this year). We drove (not necessarily in the right order) Melbourne/Geelong/Apollo Bay/Lorne/diversion inland to Ottway Rain Forest centre then 12 Apostles and Port Campbell. Turned inland after that and came through Grampians to Halls Gap, stayed overnight in log cabin at Emupark (roo rescue place) - fantastic scenery from Barooka lookout. Stayed over at Lorne, Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, then Emupark, then drove 5.5 hours through Horsham to Adelaide by the Highway. If you don't want to do the Grampians the other route is via Mount Gambier, though I don't personally think that is as interesting or spectacular as the Grampians. Four/five days will allow you to stop off for photo opportunities on the way. You will notice the increase in temperature and the blueness of the sky as you get closer to SA! 'Ottway Fly' in the rain forest is spectacular but often cool/wet even on a sunny day! Loads of campsites/accommodation in each of the above places. There is a free book about the journey you can get from the Tourist Info centres and that has all the ads for places to stay. Can personally recommend the units at the Apollo Bay Caravan park and the log cabins by the river at Port Campbell or the Blue Wren cottages just outside Port Campbell. I think the other place we stayed was the the apartments on the front at Lorne - can't recall the name but they are right on the front and easy to locate.

Thanks so much for everyone's response looks like we are booking a camper van now, just waiting confirmation.

Anyone been all the way along the coast including Robe etc as heard thats nice??

We've planned that for our trip next Jan/Feb. Not quite Ocean Road - more Limestone Coast. Adelaide, Strathalbyn, Robe, Mount Gambier, Hall's Gap (Grampians) Naracoorte and back to Adelaide.