great ocean road

Guest hel&sam

Guest hel&sam

my sister is heading over for a holiday next easter yeah!!!! anyway she's coming via melbourne and doing the great ocean road in a camper van. has anyone whose done it any recommendations for campsites along the way?

ta. Helen.

Guest Drumms

Can't recommend campsites as we wizzed along the great ocean road in a camper van a few years ago. Trying to remember where we stayed?! There is a little gem as you head off the Ocean road South Australia side which the campsite a Fairy Port (not sure if that's right). The told us of a place in which you drive down into which was amazing. We went really early and all the wildlife was out, we were stunned. Will get more info.

The drive along the ocean road was AMAZING!

Will ask OH when he comes in. Allow lots of time to stop and take pics.

Guest Rich&Susie

Hi,

Like Drums, i didn't stay at any campsites when i did the GOR (it was winter at the time and very cold!!). I can recommend a YHA in Port Campbell though (about 20kms from the 12 apostles) which had the comfiest beds!!

Rich.

Guest Andrew&Ren

We did the GOR over new year last year, its fab.

If they have time tell them to stay in the Grampians, we did it for one night on the way back. Can't remember the campsite name but it was just perfect, you could have campfires and the open space meant the local Kangaroos literally hopped by every evening. Fab place to set up camp and look at the stars!

Guest familygood

Hi

We did this a few years ago and stayed at Queenscliff which is brilliant you back onto a cricket oval! Lorne, Appollo Bay, Warnambool, Mount Gambier and Robe. I can highly recommend all of them we had a wonderful time. Remember to visit the Otway Ranges and Tower Hill in Warnambool which are brilliant spots for wildlife etc. They wiil love it. Wont be quite the same next time for us with 2 kids in tow!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi

We did this a few years ago and stayed at Queenscliff which is brilliant you back onto a cricket oval! Lorne, Appollo Bay, Warnambool, Mount Gambier and Robe. I can highly recommend all of them we had a wonderful time. Remember to visit the Otway Ranges and Tower Hill in Warnambool which are brilliant spots for wildlife etc. They wiil love it. Wont be quite the same next time for us with 2 kids in tow!!!

This is about the same as we did! But we went to ottway ranges and stayed at gellibrand second night then headed back from Appollo Bay, third night Warnambool, did tower hill, hidden gem I thought! Mount Gambier the next night. I thought the apostles were great, but I really liked the petrified forest.

On the way we went via Narracoorte, we were there for the arvo and night (left early next morning) but managed to fit in the caves a Narracoorte, I liked them too!

Am I the only person ever to find this stretch of road very disappointing.

For years I have thought about traveling up the GOR with the intentions of driving along and stopping wherever I saw somewhere to surf, only to find when we eventually done the trip that a lot of the road is actually inland, don't get me wrong we done the helicopter trip over the Apostles and went to the Otway Fly both really nice, but I just think I was expecting more sea views.(Not enough research).

I am glad I made the trip it just wasn't what I was expecting.