Where is Everyone?

Guest friends4life

Guest friends4life

Hi All,

We are off to Adelaide soon and I would really love to live there but hubby is sceptical.

The reason of this being is he believes Adelaide might be too quiet as in not enough people.

The thing is when he looks at pictures of Adelaide he says it looks like a really nice place and the lifestyle is what he really wants BUT what he doesn't understandis every picture he looks at there never seems to be alot of people about.

Could anyone tell me why that is and what places can I take him to that are really busy in order to convince him that there is life in Adelaide?

I really hope you can give me some tips in order to convice him (we are going 9th October for 3 weeks) as I am on mission move to Adelaide.

Thank You for your time.

Friends4Life x

Rather than find crowds for him, why not point out the advantages of no crowds? Very rare to get stuck in a traffic jam, very rare to have to queue for ages to get something, people having time to stop and chat with you....

I guess I've seen crowds during festival season - Rundle Street is body to body some evenings then and The Garden of Unearthly Delights has a queue to get in sometimes.... but generally, nah, it's pretty quiet! That's why it's nice!!!

Guest guest569
Rather than find crowds for him, why not point out the advantages of no crowds? Very rare to get stuck in a traffic jam, very rare to have to queue for ages to get something, people having time to stop and chat with you....

I guess I've seen crowds during festival season - Rundle Street is body to body some evenings then and The Garden of Unearthly Delights has a queue to get in sometimes.... but generally, nah, it's pretty quiet! That's why it's nice!!!

Don't forget the car spaces in the shopping centers at xmas !!!;)

Guest friends4life

Good Point, don't you just hate that when you have to wait for a parking space. I even have that trouble now when I go to the supermarket waiting for a car parking space and it isn't even Christmas!

Guest friends4life

I totally agree with you Diane, just hope I can convince hubby, wish me luck!

Guest surflen22

Hi there

I was 26 when I first went to Adelaide on a holiday. I then went back on a WHV and CHOSE to stay there. It has a fantastic live music/art scene, is incredibly friendly and the festivals are amazing! I never found it quiet in terms of entertainment, but yes, quiet in terms of crowds of people everywhere - that was one of its main attractions. The wine areas - Barossa, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale - are great for day trips or weekends away and the beaches in the area are amazing. I loved Adelaide and can't wait to get back there!

I like being able to go to a beach and sit all by myself with my family. Not just any beach, but the sort of beach that beats any you see in a travel agent window by about a gazillion miles.

That is Adelaide.

Compared to the UK Adelaide is wonderfully empty, although there are crowded places if you want them. It does depend on what you are used to - obviously compared to London or Manchester, Adelaide is a lot quieter, but if you live in the Highlands of Scotland then it would probably seem busy. Some busy places are:

* Glenelg on a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon in the summer (I used to live there and sometimes I would get mad at all the day trippers causing traffic jams making it impossible to get out of our street at times).

* Rundle Mall on a Friday evening (late night shopping) - packed with students, school kids etc

* West Lakes Food Hall - always full of OAPS

* Myer Centre Food Hall (Rundle Mall) during the school holidays - packed to the brim with overseas students, no free tables.

* The roads around West Lakes when the Crows are playing a home match - gridlock.

* The Royal Show indoor areas when it started raining

However these are in general, isolated incidents.

I rarely have trouble finding a parking space - anywhere

The beach is never busy and usually quite deserted

Traffic, although it can be heavy in places, is nothing like the M25

Once you get away from the city, the roads are, by UK standards, empty

If you go down the beach to somewhere like Semaphore on a Sunday afternoon, there are other people there but you don't feel like the whole world has had the same idea as you, and you don't spend hours driving round trying to find a parking space

In essence, life is a lot more civilised and you feel like more of a individual rather than one of the masses.