Adelaide Central Market

Guest joolz

We checked this out last Saturday and really enjoyed the atmosphere with the music and stalls. www.adelaidecentralmarket.com.au

We bought some fruit and veg off the stalls which was good quality and cheaper than the supermarkets. We also liked the stall with wild meats and got some great wild pig ribs, 11 racks for $12, smallish but nice as pork is pricey here (Max wanted croc burgers and Camel...needless to say we didn't purchase). We found it great to see all the breads, pies and cakes on the stalls. There's also a good sweet or candy, stall which the kids liked of course!!! A great place to go if you are a bit of a foody and it's right next to China Town too so of course we had to sample some noodles too.

There is parking there too.

If you enjoyed it then you should try going on a Friday evening, really good atmosphere with live music etc.

I love the place, especially the chinese food after shopping :-D

Jackie

If you want a really good steak and chips lunch the Aces Bar and Grill (just between market and food court) is excellent too. If you have an Entertainment Book there is usually a voucher in there. Doesn't look much from the outside, but fantastic steaks.

Lucia's is great too for a bowl of pasta.

If you're a cheese lover (like me!) then the market is the best place to get your cheeses - half the price of supermarkets (best places for cheese are Standom and the stall opposite the Coffee one in the middle, just by the (smaller of the two) amazing asian supermarket!).

Guest WhatNow?

My abiding memory of my first trip to Adelaide many years ago was the size and quality of the fruit and veg in the market (as well as the many varieties of cheese, bread and just about everything else!). I assumed that it was an 'Australian' thing, due to better weather and a different lifestyle, however I was hearing today from some people who are third generation Adelaide folk who have a home on the Gold Coast. They were bemoaning the poor quality and high price of the fresh stuff up there in QLD - something that I found surprising. Every time I go into the Central Market I thank my lucky stars that I live near enough to the city to have easy access to such a lovely market - and I am usually a very reluctant shopper. I agree with the previous poster - Friday evening is amazing! No wonder many folk pick the kids up from school and head there for tea, shopping and free entertainment. The Christmas carols were magic last year - several proper choirs - no recorded rubbish!

My faves from the market are.......

Sushi train .....for sushi of course.....it's on Gouger St, just outside the most eastern entrance on Gouger.

Burfi and other Indian sweets from Maya, down a side st on the opposite side of Gouger St near Sushi Train. Also a great Indian restaurant for Dhosa.

Satay chicken buns, Kaya buns and beef curry puffs from Nanas in the mall leading to China Town.

Russian savoury and sweet buns from the stall on the eastern left side. They reduce everything to $1 near closing.

Haighs for some peppermint frogs and the obligatory free tasting. :)

Meat from Feast

and just about anything that takes my fancy from the asian grocers.

Am going to go to Bread Top tomorrow, love those asian bread shops where you can pick n mix on a tray.

I like the Vietnamese food stall in the old food court (as opposed to the newer one opposite), it's the one on your right as you enter the automatic doors. I think them and the yumcha place at the other end are the only stores who have not changed hands since...long time ago.

My fave dish is the Number 5, which is "Broken rice", it's steamed rice with pork chop, fried egg, carrots, cucumber, and other things. it's yumyum :P