Kangaroo Island HELP

Riponian

Hi

My in laws are trying to get to Kanagroo island in October for a few days but they are having problems getting there and getting about whilst on the island!

None of the hire car companies will insure the car for the ferry trip and all the companies they can find on the island are all fully booked! :(

Does anyone know of a small company on the island or of a company here that will insure the trip! sods law they chance it something will happen!!

Thanks

Michelle

Hi

My in laws are trying to get to Kanagroo island in October for a few days but they are having problems getting there and getting about whilst on the island!

None of the hire car companies will insure the car for the ferry trip and all the companies they can find on the island are all fully booked! :(

Does anyone know of a small company on the island or of a company here that will insure the trip! sods law they chance it something will happen!!

Thanks

Michelle

My inlaws and brother/sister in law had car rentals from Avis from airport. They just got a permit which allowed them to go to KI but not drive on unpaved roads (which I wouldn't want to anyway) and not after dusk. The ruling was that they weren't insured if the ferry sunk. BUT when is the last time you've heard of a Sealink ferry sinking :D

My inlaws and brother/sister in law had car rentals from Avis from airport. They just got a permit which allowed them to go to KI but not drive on unpaved roads (which I wouldn't want to anyway) and not after dusk. The ruling was that they weren't insured if the ferry sunk. BUT when is the last time you've heard of a Sealink ferry sinking :D

Great thanks for everyone's suggestions will see about a permit and then ring the information centre and if all else fails they can take our car.

Knew you guys would come up with some suggestions!

Ta

MMMMM.....if you cant go on unpaved roads.....most of KI will be out of reach!! Apart from the 3/4 major attractions the rest are all down unsealed roads!

Dan

Guest WhatNow?

That's why the standard is to not insure you - too tempting to go off road! Have they considered doing one of the tours - it's certainly less tiring and you will get to see everything there is to see. I'm not one for being herded around on a tour bus but I've done KI both ways and know which I would prefer without a 4WD. It's that long drive back from Cape Jervis that gets me everytime!

That's why the standard is to not insure you - too tempting to go off road! Have they considered doing one of the tours - it's certainly less tiring and you will get to see everything there is to see. I'm not one for being herded around on a tour bus but I've done KI both ways and know which I would prefer without a 4WD. It's that long drive back from Cape Jervis that gets me everytime!

sounds interesting do you have info on these? will have a hunt around myself but always worth getting recommendations.

Ta

x

Guest WhatNow?

When we drove down we stayed at a B&B near Cape Jervis overnight so we could travel down without being in the traffic and get up, have breakfast and only have a 10 minute journey to the ferry at 9am. That was ok but driving back after a full day of touring and getting off the ferry at 7.30 pm was horrendous, wish we'd booked it on the way back too.

The KI tours tend to go from the central bus station with pickups around the city and on South Road all the way down. At least that way the driver gets to see the beautiful scenery too! There are some alternative small group 4x4 tours on the KI website if you prefer something a little more exclusive.

Tours - Kangaroo Island, South Australia

MMMMM.....if you cant go on unpaved roads.....most of KI will be out of reach!! Apart from the 3/4 major attractions the rest are all down unsealed roads!

Dan

I don't agree. The only major tourist attraction you can't reach is one of the churches. The rest you can. That's the "public line" of the KI tourist info. We spent 4 days there and were fine. Yes there is a lot you can see off-roading but for your average overseas tourist - the main roads (which are challengin enough to avoid the wildlife) are OK.

I did say the major/main attractions!!! However wonderflu beaches such as Stokes Bay, the light house on the far side, alot of the national park are on dirt roads.... they are only 3 sealed major roads on KI when you leave the towns! There is so much to see and do when you take the time to explore of the main roads.....thats what took us back 3 times in 2 years!

Unless you stay in kingscote or penneshaw most accomodation/lodges/cabins are in dirt roads!

I drive a 1991 Mazda 323......not exactly 4x4 material.....and coped fine on dirt roads...some are very bumpy but take your time...!! Some dirt tracks are better than the main roads!!