Where to take my mother?

Guest Janine3979

Guest Janine3979

Hiya,

We've been here for 4 months now and have managed to get out and about a little amongst setting everything up but my mother is coming to visit in dec for 5 weeks, and have a couple of ideas on places to go but nowhere near enough to fill 5 weeks. SHe likes a bit of adventure and beaches but need places to go with 3 children.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers:err:

Guest whitfan

Hahndorf, the Barossa Valley, Mclaren Vale, Victor Harbor, KI, the Riverland if you want, Yorke Pen.

the Zoo, botanical gardens, mount lofty, Gorge Wildlife park, Cleland, Warrawong sactuary, pick a beach, the beach house/glenelg, north terrace/northen cbd shoips and other gear (lib, museum and art gallery.), central markets, north adelaide, port adelaide markets, dolphin cruise, railway museum, maritime museum etc.

As a mother who frequently visits two of my daughters and their families who live overseas, I would just like to comment.

It is nice to visit different places and see different things, but when I visit my aim is simply to be part of my grandchildrens' lives and watch them grow and develop. I like to take them and collect them from school, etc, I like to cook meals for them and to read, dance, play. I just enjoy spending time with them and doing the ordinary everyday things that are part of their life. These things cost little and are so precious.

Making sure you have plenty of quality time together is important.

I am sure your mothers will have a wonderful time with your families and a good look at South Australia at the same time.

Guest Janine3979

Thanks,

That's probably how my mum will feel too and we'll have lot's of christmas shopping to do too as we haven't even started thinking about it yet, just finished getting all the essentials, then we've got 2 of the kids birthdays next month so will be last minute christmas shopping which I'm not used to.

Will stop worrying about finding things to do as am sure it will go too quickly.

Thanks

Guest guest3462

You could hire a cabin at one of the many caravan parks and enjoy a relaxing break, Renmark is beautiful, and Tanunda is too. Also in Tanunda is the Jacobs Creek vinyards which are worth a visit.

When my parents came we went to Cuddlee creek wildlife park, hahndorf,Glenelg, victor harbour, port adelaide for the dolphin cruise, city, zoo and of course the beach. We also managed to sneak a weekend away while nanna and grandad had the girls (always a bonus!!) For quite a few days though we hung around and just did what we do in daily life. Mum quite liked comparing the shops and supermarket prices!!

Guest whitfan

were you referring to me? no, but I love travel so much...I just need to do some!

anyway, more ideas...Monarto zoo and go to Montefore hill to see the statue...the statue is novelty value butif you go to Monarto and the Zoo you can save a ton of money by buying some sort of combined ticket.

Also, that reminded me of a place off the freewayt at murray Bridge called Dundee's crocodile park. I went there with a youngish kid and we all had a good time...its quite hands on and the kids can hold a baby crocodile and a python etc. plus lots of other animals.

Birdwood National motor museum is good novelty value for a few hours, but not nearly as good as when i was a kid.

Also the Murray Mouth on hindmarsh island is a cool drive if you are keen.

Myponga or Mt. Bold reservoirs are again good novelty value, but kids may find time like that in the car boring.

If you do go to Hahndorf be sure to hit up the Animal Barn Farm or whatever its called, again lots of hands on with generic farm animals.

Although, for Australian animals Gorge wildlife park is the best, you can feed prety much everything, they have a good range of monkeys etc. and you can get pictures taken with koalas. i know one of the keepers, hopefully she will have finished the new mixed reptile enclosure by the time you go. Thats at Cudlee Creek in the hills

You probably could just hit up something like the Shorts website or even something like getaway or postcards tv show sites for more ideas than just these.

edit: Also go to http://www.adelaidesightseeing.com.au and look at where some of their tours go, and just do the itinery on your own (for whatever interests you of course!).

Hiya,

We've been here for 4 months now and have managed to get out and about a little amongst setting everything up but my mother is coming to visit in dec for 5 weeks, and have a couple of ideas on places to go but nowhere near enough to fill 5 weeks. SHe likes a bit of adventure and beaches but need places to go with 3 children.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers:err:

Hi, I read your post and replies with interest as my mum and gran (who is 79) are coming beginning of Dec, but only for 3 weeks. I have most of what is mentioned to go see, but was thinking a a wee break, would KI be suitable for my gran? She gets very breathless on any walks (had a lung removed after having cancer). I would like to take her on a wee trip but nothing to strenuous and she loves the sea so nothing inland. I've been in Adelaide nearly 2 years and been nowhere, cos Ive been working constantly so any ideas?? anyone??

Guest whitfan

Id heavily suggest the yorke peninsuala. Itd be relatively easy to get a house right on the waterfront for a few days. KI is deceptively large and would require some walking regardless imo.

edit: http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/sa/yorke-peninsula for example.

(also, is it just me or should I start doing this as a business :P)

Guest SA Great

A cruise on the Murray from Mannum and Tailem Bend's Old Tailem Town are good for the oldies. Also Spirit of the Coorong trips are excellent, my MIL loved it. Maybe a long weekend on a houseboat.

Although, for Australian animals Gorge wildlife park is the best, you can feed prety much everything, they have a good range of monkeys etc. and you can get pictures taken with koalas. i know one of the keepers, hopefully she will have finished the new mixed reptile enclosure by the time you go. Thats at Cudlee Creek in the hills

I'd second this - lovely drive up there too. My daughter did her Year 10 Work Experience at the park - one weekend a month they take a lot of the animals out for walks around the park so you can get seriously up close and personal with more than just the 'roos - can't remember which weekend it is though, so ring them up and ask.

Cleland is also good, and can be combined with Mount Lofty to get a great bird's eye view of Adelaide and surrounds - nice cafe and gift shop there too. Again, the drive up there is half the fun!

For the wineries, most of the regions do "cheese and wine" tours - I know the Barossa one is good: you get a mini hamper of cheese and biscuits, a cheese board and knife (in the Barossa it's from Angaston) and tour the wineries tasting various wines with your various cheeses. Great fun - specially if you like cheese (Gromit). The scheduled tours this company do are also great if you don't fancy doing the driving: http://www.wineloverstours.com.au/site/toursnews/toursnews/

Guest WhatNow?

KI would be ok for someone with limited mobility if you chose a coach tour, although some of the attractions like Seal Bay where you go down onto the beach with a guide are a bit of a strenuous walk back up. You do get to see a lot even on the day tour (which would involve an early start) but it is worth it and being higher up on a coach you can see more of the scenery without getting out than if you drive yourself.