flipping hot

Prema

omg, how on earth am i going to cope??? it is so so HOT!!!

Everyone is just laughing there heads off, at myself in the school yard fanning myself.

Come on give me a chance this will be our first summer here, compared to the UK, I have not experienced anything like this. Even our holidays to the Caribbean were not as hot as this!!!

We don't even have a/c in the whole of the house, only in the kitchen, I can see myself no joke getting my mattress in there and spending the whole of summer in my kitchen???

How does everyone else manage?? did you all feel the same. Does it get easier with time?

I went to TTP today to get xmas shopping sorted and it was so hot in there, my feet was swelling up...

I now pay attention the weather on the news, thank god tomorrow it will start to cool off yippee and next week it looks like the heat will be in the 20's :) that I can handle no probs!!!

Prema x

Guest guest569

As you have noticed it warms up and then cools down for a few days, then up it goes a little higher and then it cools again. When its 40+ it won't feel any different to today and it wont last long as the cooler change will come round again. You get used to it bit by bit !! :biglaugh:

As you have noticed it warms up and then cools down for a few days, then up it goes a little higher and then it cools again. When its 40+ it won't feel any different to today and it wont last long as the cooler change will come round again. You get used to it bit by bit !! :biglaugh:

omg, I so hope your right, the kids wanted to eat spag bol today of all days!! I almost fainted whilst I was cooking!! I kept on telling them don't you fancy a tuna / chicken salad instead!!! silly me why would I think of the coolest things to eat??

Lol kids, but give them credit their plates were really clean after!!

wait until it is 40 degrees !!!!!!!! You will def need to move the mattress into the kitchen. Ducted air conditioning is essential!!!!!!!!!

I know, I could shoot the real estate person who said and I quote, living in a villa is really good, it keeps really cool in the summer there's no need for a/c.... I DON'T THINK SO!!! Bet they saw us coming, and must have had a right laugh in the office!!

Guest SA Great

Unusually humid today....very Queensland. When its 40C it will be about this hot if you stay out of the sun, but venture into the sun.....then you will fry as I have done many times!!!

I know, I could shoot the real estate person who said and I quote, living in a villa is really good, it keeps really cool in the summer there's no need for a/c.... I DON'T THINK SO!!! Bet they saw us coming, and must have had a right laugh in the office!!

It's the humidity, I don't know what it was today but checking online now (21:15) it's 39% and it isn't like that when it gets hotter.

We bought a few months ago and have no cooling or heating at all but have been assured of 'gully winds'. Hmm, noticed them when it was cold but we'll when it gets hotter!

We have been here a year and wore a thick cardi all day, must be my blood thinning with old age:biglaugh:

Cooler

...and floods forecast for Victoria this weekend!

Don't worry Prema, it did/does feel exceptionally warm today even for Adelaide. When it's in the 30's usually it's a very dry type of heat so doesn't feel nearly as bad. Keep a jug of cold water in the fridge at all times and drink lots.

we have just moved into our own house.......and coped much better with the heat today! Our rental had only two a/c units......the bedrooms were like greenhouses!!! I just put curtain liners up and kept them closed all day...helped a little! We also decided to invest in one of the plug in air con unit which cost us 100 bucks and altho not as good as the installed ones it was pretty invaluable and I would recommend them.......good thing is you can use in lounge and then bedroom when you go to bed!!!! we also got lots of fans!!! - just a thought. Our rental was just no good when the heat arrived............

Guest Mitchell

Humidity was up to 53% just before 9am this morning according to the met office app on my phone. Turned the air con on for the first time as I didn't want sweaty removal men dripping on my floors lol. Unfortunately my neighbour pointed out its leaking water like a goodun so I'll be phoning the agents in the morning. Fortunately my water is in with the rent!

Guest katsmajic

I thought it was sticky hot yesterday, even the aussies were complaining about the humitdity.

Bring on the summer, its a dry heat, which yes will cook you if you sit out in it, but is a more pleasant heat than a muggy humid heat.

Nic - you will see some sights so traumatising that you'll realise any post baby body is lovely.

Guest nicandchris
Long loose linen skirts and dresses in pale colours (though maybe not white if there's any chance of rain ;) )

mmmm wouldnt suit me at all! Sounds like im going to have a distinct change in personality what with threads on lack of decent shampoo and wearing pale colours, dresses and shorts - ive been covered up for soooooooo long! x

Guest kangomik
Humidity was up to 53% just before 9am this morning according to the met office app on my phone. Turned the air con on for the first time as I didn't want sweaty removal men dripping on my floors lol. Unfortunately my neighbour pointed out its leaking water like a goodun so I'll be phoning the agents in the morning. Fortunately my water is in with the rent!

Are they paying for the whole water bill or just part of it? Usuallly they pay part of it, once you use over a certain amount then you pay, just be careful.

If you guys had the aircon already your in for a shock. It was humid, and was really humid this morning just before the rain came. The dry heat is better you can cope better. If you have Swampy aircon (Evap) don't put it on when it's humid, it makes things worse!:goofy:

Prema, the trick to keeping the house cool is keeping all the windows and doors closed in the morning with the blinds pulled to. Once you get night time temps near or plus 30 it's going to get hot no matter what you do i am affraid. (unless you have air con!):arghh:

Re Gully winds: Yes they do cool things down................. you do have to be able to get the gully winds, so need to near open land, AND you may be surprised at what time they arrive, sometimes late at night, which will not help unless you can sleep with the windows open.:GEEK:

It's a good reminder to folks that it will get hot, and you will need sunscreen and water, but don't leave water in the front of the car unless you want to make a brew when you get back.:policeman:

Don't worry about moaning, the Aussies complain just as hard when it gets warm.

Guest moonraker1959

I never had air conditioning when I lived in South Australia.We used fans,and sometimes when it was over 35c,hung wet sheets/towels(wrung out first obviously)over the windows so the breeze would blow through abit cooler.I hardly ever cooked inside,used to maybe cook some meat on the barbie,and we ate different salads throughout summer.We always ensured we drank plenty of cool water,and obviously stayed out of the sun.Most hot days I would shut the house up,pull down the blinds,and not open anything back up until it was dark outside.Abit like winter in the UK,but in Australia you shut your house up winter and summertime!Wear loose cotton clothing,and if you have young kids,I used to run a tepid bath and let them play in it,supervised of course,just to keep them cool.People don't realise(and I don't mean this in a patronising way either)that just because they had spent 2 weeks in say Turkey mid summer,that yes spending year after year in a hot country would be fabulous.What they may forget is, the difference being,you are working in that heat,you might spend night after night not being able to sleep properly,your kids get grouchy,and if like mine,were hard to get up for school the next day because they had'nt slept well.Yes you do acclimatise to a certain extent,but hot is hot,and you have to accept that.When i returned to the UK to live(had spent 30 yrs in South Aus)my first winter was an eye opener.I was freezing for most of it.But now 10 yrs later,I can hang my washing outside mid winter and not bat an eyelid.

Guest graandjac

HOT.....:nah:, that was mild , for the ones who were here last summer remember the 44deg ........we were working at sunrise when the temp was 38 deg........at 5 in the morning....!!!!! and it just got hotter as the day went on, we were packing up at 10 to get out of the sun.......33 to 36 is perfect beach weather:jiggy:cant wait

remember slip slop slide and slap.........pmsl