• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree12Likes

Thread: flipping hot

kangomik
      Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
      Humidity was up to 53% just before 9am this morning according to the met office app on my phone. Turned the air con on for the first time as I didn't want sweaty removal men dripping on my floors lol. Unfortunately my neighbour pointed out its leaking water like a goodun so I'll be phoning the agents in the morning. Fortunately my water is in with the rent!
      Are they paying for the whole water bill or just part of it? Usuallly they pay part of it, once you use over a certain amount then you pay, just be careful.

If you guys had the aircon already your in for a shock. It was humid, and was really humid this morning just before the rain came. The dry heat is better you can cope better. If you have Swampy aircon (Evap) don't put it on when it's humid, it makes things worse!

Prema, the trick to keeping the house cool is keeping all the windows and doors closed in the morning with the blinds pulled to. Once you get night time temps near or plus 30 it's going to get hot no matter what you do i am affraid. (unless you have air con!)

Re Gully winds: Yes they do cool things down................. you do have to be able to get the gully winds, so need to near open land, AND you may be surprised at what time they arrive, sometimes late at night, which will not help unless you can sleep with the windows open.:GEEK:

It's a good reminder to folks that it will get hot, and you will need sunscreen and water, but don't leave water in the front of the car unless you want to make a brew when you get back.

Don't worry about moaning, the Aussies complain just as hard when it gets warm.
      Guest75 and guest3462 like this.

nicandchris
      wow i remember it getting hot (we worked outside on the farms) but your reminding me! whew! x

Title
      Liked
      269 times
      Rep
      I never had air conditioning when I lived in South Australia.We used fans,and sometimes when it was over 35c,hung wet sheets/towels(wrung out first obviously)over the windows so the breeze would blow through abit cooler.I hardly ever cooked inside,used to maybe cook some meat on the barbie,and we ate different salads throughout summer.We always ensured we drank plenty of cool water,and obviously stayed out of the sun.Most hot days I would shut the house up,pull down the blinds,and not open anything back up until it was dark outside.Abit like winter in the UK,but in Australia you shut your house up winter and summertime!Wear loose cotton clothing,and if you have young kids,I used to run a tepid bath and let them play in it,supervised of course,just to keep them cool.People don't realise(and I don't mean this in a patronising way either)that just because they had spent 2 weeks in say Turkey mid summer,that yes spending year after year in a hot country would be fabulous.What they may forget is, the difference being,you are working in that heat,you might spend night after night not being able to sleep properly,your kids get grouchy,and if like mine,were hard to get up for school the next day because they had'nt slept well.Yes you do acclimatise to a certain extent,but hot is hot,and you have to accept that.When i returned to the UK to live(had spent 30 yrs in South Aus)my first winter was an eye opener.I was freezing for most of it.But now 10 yrs later,I can hang my washing outside mid winter and not bat an eyelid.
      katsmajic and nicandchris like this.

Title
      Liked
      1423 times
      Rep
      Left for work yesterday morning @5.30 am and it was 28 degrees.....came home from work @ 1pm and it was 18....what a refreshing change....lol

HG

Title
      Liked
      167 times
      Rep
      HOT....., that was mild , for the ones who were here last summer remember the 44deg ........we were working at sunrise when the temp was 38 deg........at 5 in the morning....!!!!! and it just got hotter as the day went on, we were packing up at 10 to get out of the sun.......33 to 36 is perfect beach weathercant wait

remember slip slop slide and slap.........pmsl

Title
      Liked
      1423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by graandjac View Post
      HOT....., that was mild , for the ones who were here last summer remember the 44deg ........we were working at sunrise when the temp was 38 deg........at 5 in the morning....!!!!! and it just got hotter as the day went on, we were packing up at 10 to get out of the sun.......33 to 36 is perfect beach weathercant wait

remember slip slop slide and slap.........pmsl
      Resistance is futile Gra......

HG

Title
      Liked
      179 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
      ...and floods forecast for Victoria this weekend!

Hehehehehe. But five minutes after a flood in Victoria it will be sunny, or windy, or or or

However I am reliably informed tht Adelaide is consistantly the hottest pace in Australia with 40 degree heat being normal.

How I wish I was there!!!
      ------------
      Regards
      Tony
      www.worldofglasscraft.com

Title
      Liked
      1423 times
      Rep
      They reckon alot of the the other major cites will be cooler and wetter than normal this summar but Adelaide will be having the same weather as per normal....such hardship eh?

44 degrees = Beers in fridge x Air con on

HG

•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums