Coping in South Australia's heat

Guest Anne29

I thought it would be good to put up a reminder of some ways/tips of coping with the heat that could be useful to any newbies to the country. After being here almost 3 and a half years, you learn ways in which to cope in high temps like today (39C) and tomorrow (43C).

The house:

- close all blinds/curtains to create as much shade as possible.

- have your air con set to a coolish temp but not too cold or you'll be flicking it on and off (word of warning - when we had 2 consecutive weeks of 40C heat, we got really big bills due to having the air on almost constantly).

- try to use fans instead of air (it's cheaper then using the air) unless it's too unbearable.

- keep windows shut until early evening as you don't get any breeze through them, just warm air.

- wear loose clothing.

- keep your fluids up (you can dehydrate really quickly in high temps) - preferably water as coffee tends to make you feel dehydrated (or it does me)

Outside:

- if you have to go outside (to work etc) make sure you wear a very high factor sunscreen (you'll burn in about 5 minutes flat in 40C+).

- wear a hat (don't worry how you'll look as you'll see that most people wear them).

-wear loosely fitted clothes.

-make sure you always carry a drink with you - keep your fluids up!

-try to walk in as much shaded areas as possible (in the city there are lots of covered areas).

-if poss, try to avoid the sun in the mid afternoon as this seems to be when it's at it's hottest.

Hope this helps some people! Feel free to add more to the list

Keep some bottles of water or cordial in the freezer to take out in the car with you. They'll stay cool for ages.

You can buy cooler ties which are great. They have silicon beads inside, you soak the tie in cold water so the beads swell up, and then loosely tie it round your neck and they keep you cool for ages. We use them at work cos it often gets up to 40 degrees in the factory and they are great.

Guest mark&rachel
Keep some bottles of water or cordial in the freezer to take out in the car with you. They'll stay cool for ages.

You can buy cooler ties which are great. They have silicon beads inside, you soak the tie in cold water so the beads swell up, and then loosely tie it round your neck and they keep you cool for ages. We use them at work cos it often gets up to 40 degrees in the factory and they are great.

Yes the cooler ties are ace. Ive seen them on people. Where do you buy them from?

Park in the shade, and use a silver reflective windscreen and back windscreen cover on the windows in your car...

By the way, I just got back from bunnings who have 40cm pedestal fans on sale for under $10 (I was at the Mile End store). We use a fan to push the air from our living room down the corridor to the bedrooms, and that with the ceilling fans can circulate the cooler air nicely.

Oh and keep water in the fridge to drink at home (I like the glass stopper bottles) even if you have pura tap water, better to have it cool out of the fridge, cos the tap can run and run and it'll still be almost worthy of a cup of tea... :)

I've just been to Bunnings too and was amazed - umbrella stands, umbrellas, outdoor furniture, barbie bottles, sold out or close to :o Tis' the weather for it.

Personally, I shove glasses in the freezer so that they will be beautifully cold for when I come back and have a beer. Lager and Lime cordial for me, sometimes puratap water and Cascade Raspberry cordial on ice. I can't find Vimto (anyone ?!), although I know you can get it here.

I keep the cordial in the fridge and the water as well. Don't drink too fast if you have gone without for a long time or physically exerted yourself (e.g. working outside), because you might throw it all back up again - drink slowly, although the temptation tells you otherwise.

Do what the pensioners do - go to the libraries, shopping malls, cinemas, wherever - because they will have AC on there. I know of several senior folk who can't afford to run the AC, so they disappear out to the shops for the day and spend time in the cafes, book stores etc.

And for those with kids, my Gran used to make iced lollies (icy poles / popsicles) with the plastic moulds and straight cordial. Great fun with the kids to make them together and enjoy later. Mate, I still remember Gran's Vimto ice lollies :D

Guest whitfan

Keep your windows open a crack when using the A/C, most A/C in Australia is evaporative and this keeps the humidity down, and a good airflow going.

Keep as much bottled water in the fridge as you can, and keep a bottle on you at all times. If you are active during days like today your water needs can go up to the vicinity of 10L a day.

Avoid coffee and alcohol as the former is a diuretic and the latter will dehydrate you.

oh yes I make ribena ice lollies!!!!

I also keep some white cot sheets in the car to put over the childrens' car seats when I park, even in the shade. In really hot weather it still feels really warm even with those (if I have spare silver thingys they are better) but not as burning hot as without.

If anyone gets d&v, I have also been known to freeze the dioralyte stuff (gastrolyte here the brand name) in ice lolly moulds - the only time any of them ever get through a whole dose is when it's frozen as a lollipop - and it works a treat. Really important if any of them get sick this weather to make sure not dehydrated so the medicine stuff (which seems to be out of fashion, except in our house - I use it for headaches!!!!) is necessary esp for kids.

I haven't got enough freezer space or I'd def be with you freezing the glasses. :)

Guest kangomik

Slow down, no need to rush anywhere. Everyone feels the same.

If your out at work use an ice box or one of those coolers to plug in the van, beware these do use a lot of juice (excuse the punn) so be carefull with the battery.

Don't throw water away, even if it gets warm it's still a fluid and anythings better than getting heat exhaustion.

But most of all enjoy it, wasn't too long ago it was too cold LOL

I have a washing line on my veranda, outside my double door-things so I put nice, large, drippy pieces of washing out, directly outside the doors. It makes any breeze coming in even cooler.

If you don't have a large enough stubby-type cooler for the kids' water bottles, wrap a folded tea towel round them. Secure with a couple of elastic bands and the water stays cooler longer. Even better if you partially froze them the night before!

Don't forget the ice block for their lunch box too....I usually freeze a second bottle of water and pop it in so their food stays safe and they have a second bottle of cool water for later in the day.

It's good to have an esky in the boot of the car for when you go shopping. Food can spoil so quickly in the heat.

I usually put a bottle of water, plus an ice cream container ( or something) just in case I spot an animal in need when I am driving round. That might sound silly but I have used it a few times for a dehydrated koala! The saddest one, for me ( and it probably doesn't sound too sad but!) was when a koala was sitting in the creek, surrounded by debris, trying to lick up the few drops of green water that was there.

Don't forget the birds! We have a bird bath that I keep full all year round ( I ask my neighbors to fill it when we are away) plus a dog bowl under the bush for any creature that might need it.

It's great to get down to the beach really early! I love the way people are about, walking the dogs, running etc from very early on. I try to get down there before work so before 7am and it's so lovely! I used to take the kids down early ( when they were young, cute and could be bothered lol) and it was so nice.....nice too to go for the day, with friends and a nice big shelter to peer from under!

Just a few that came to mind, hope they help a bit.

:cute:LC

And don't forget pets ! English Bulldogs like me especially don't like hot weather because we can easily overheat from panting. Keep me inside a cool house and NEVER, EVER in a car....I love ice blocks and a cool fan makes you a BFF with me :D

Also, remember your plants....water in the evening with a really deep soak, so that they get the benefit of having that transpired water replaced over the next few hours, when evaporation is lowest.

Guest Mitchell

How about finding someone with a big enough freezer (we used a local company) who will freeze 100mm water in the bottom of a plastic storage container (those ones that stack in or on each other depending on which way round). Freeze two ends of some string in the bottom. You now have an ice sled! Take it to the local park with some carpet or towels to sit on and slide down grass slopes. We got 4 made for about $40 and they lasted hours until the kids ( and us) were worn out.

b4d84847-25f7-05c4.jpg

b4d84847-2620-c8dc.jpg

Do you know I thought that till I moved to Australia and realise that Australians have far more REAL (ie not smalltalk) conversations about the weather (and moan about it far more) than I reckon the british do. Its just we have a reputation for it but not quite sure its as justified as people think!!!!

Hi!!

I know you can get Vimto cordial in the Lolly shop near the Moseley Square end of Jetty road in Glenelg. They also have a stall in the Westfield at Marion, but can't say I've seen it there!!

Hope that helps and you can have some Vimto soon!!

Karyn

I've just been to Bunnings too and was amazed - umbrella stands, umbrellas, outdoor furniture, barbie bottles, sold out or close to :o Tis' the weather for it.

Personally, I shove glasses in the freezer so that they will be beautifully cold for when I come back and have a beer. Lager and Lime cordial for me, sometimes puratap water and Cascade Raspberry cordial on ice. I can't find Vimto (anyone ?!), although I know you can get it here.