Black forest gateau

Guest MADTOM

My son is fixated on a lovely fresh authentic black forest gateau for his birthday cake. (though he has never had one!!) Can anyone advise me where to buy in or around Adelaide.

I know there is a German cake shop in Hahndorf - are they nice and fresh?

Michels have one but it doesn't quite look the part - anyone tried it?

Thank you:cute:

My son is fixated on a lovely fresh authentic black forest gateau for his birthday cake. (though he has never had one!!) Can anyone advise me where to buy in or around Adelaide.

I know there is a German cake shop in Hahndorf - are they nice and fresh?

Michels have one but it doesn't quite look the part - anyone tried it?

Thank you:cute:

Yum yums.....:)

HG

I've got a great (really easy) chocolate cake recipe if you like, and you could buy a jar/tin of morello cherries, tub of cream, and make your own - with or without alcohol added!

Mmm that sounds great! I would prefer to buy one as I am a bit of a "Won't cook, won't cook!" type of person but if its easy I am willing to give it a try.

Can you send me the recipe please?

He is only 5 so I will leave out the alcohol and drink it myself when he and his 2 year old sister start acting up! lol!

Thank you:daydreaming:

Mmm that sounds great! I would prefer to buy one as I am a bit of a "Won't cook, won't cook!" type of person but if its easy I am willing to give it a try.

Can you send me the recipe please?

He is only 5 so I will leave out the alcohol and drink it myself when he and his 2 year old sister start acting up! lol!

Thank you:daydreaming:

Here ya go, makes a lovely moist chocolate cake - fill with lots of whipped up cream, tinned cherries, and top with more cream and grated dark chocolate! Totally foolproof!

Dry ingredients

10 oz plain flour

3 level tbsp cocoa

1.5 teasp baking powder

1.5 teasp bicarb of soda

8 oz caster sugar

Wet ingredients

3 tbsp golden syrup

3 eggs, beaten

3/8 (that's three eighths - can't do fractions) pint corn oil*

3/8 (ditto) pint milk **

* (you should be able to get corn oil from coles, but if not, try health food shop, or use another sort of light non flavoured liquid oil)

**(last two is easier if you get a jug and measure 3/4 pint, half and half oil and milk)

Method

Mix all dry ingredients together

Add all wet ingredients and beat well (I use electric hand beater, but you could do with a big wooden spoon if you're strong)

Pour into deep sided tin (greased and lined with baking paper) - or couple of sandwich tins (I find it better in one, coz when you split it to fill it, it soaks up the cherry juice better - which you could thicken up with a bit of cornflour before spreading on it)

Cook 30-45 mins at 160C (varies - if you cook in two sandwich tins its nearer to 30, one big one nearer to 45 - do the 'stick a skewer in and see if it comes out sticky' thing to test)

If you google "black forest gateau" there are a couple of decorating/filling ideas on sites like Nigella's and Anthony Worrall Thompson's

Guest guest3462

Diane that sounds lovely, I Might try that out this weekend!! I have just made a verycute ladybug cake for my friends daughter. I have 2 birthday cakes to do for Sunday, my youngest turns 4 and wants a fairy cake with wings and another for my friends son who turns 9 on the same day...... The black forest gâteaux would be great for the grown ups at the party!!!! :-)

It's definitely one of the easiest cakes I've ever made, and is lovely and moist. Hardest thing is finding corn oil here, but I have managed it a couple of times, and otherwise just use sunflower or something similar.

Enjoy your weekend of birthdays - gonna be a hot one by all accounts.

I work for the Cheesecake Shop in Reynella and must have made over 300 Black Forest Tortes (as their known over here) since I joined. They contain no alcohol whatsoever (at least our recipe doesn't) and you can get them in various sizes - midi for $18.95 which serves 8, regular for $26.95 which serves 12, 12" round for $70 which serves 30 or 13" slab for $90 which serves 50.

I agree, they are yummy! It's tricky making them and not eating them all the time!

Guest Chandan

You used to be able to order them at the bakery in Coles... made to order with whatever you'd like written on top with chocolate.. They were so delicious.. might be worth finding out in your local Coles if they still do them..