Kangeroo Island

Guest LawrenceWhyte

It's definitely worth a look. There's lots of scenery too see.

There's plenty of accommodation on the island, depending on where you want to stay. I stayed in Emu Bay at Searenity - which was lovely!!

Don't be fooled by its size, some of our South Australian born friends were going to park the car at Cape Jervis, and walk around the island for the day!!! :biglaugh: We persuaded them a car may be handy if they wanted to get out of Penneshaw.

I can also recommend staying at the Searenity at Emu Bay, stayed there last week and it was fantastic. The owners have thought of everything in the house and were very helpful with lots of local knowledge.

The website is:- kangaroo island accommodation emu bay kangaroo island kangaroo island accommodation emu bay searenity holiday home on ki

Just beware that the ferry cost is quite steep, we paid $440 for car and 4 adults and that was with 25% off from the voucher in the Entertainment Book.

As the previous posting said the Island is alot bigger than you think so allow lots of time to get to places.

Hope this helps

Katie

Guest gill and ian

We spent about 4 days on KI in 2009. Totally agree the ferry across is not cheap. If like me you dont have sea legs. Take a sick bag. Saying that i was preggers at the time. Amazing wildlife. Not bad vino. Great fish also.munch munch

Guest WhatNow?

Agree with all of the above and have friends who live there permanently. Ferry can be expensive but flying is even more so, though if you are prone to seasickness it could be an alternative! You will need to hire a car if you don't take yours with you, but one word of warning - after the recent rain, the minor roads will be full of potholes and getting to some of the places off the main highway (e.g. Hanson Bay) will not do a normal city car's suspension any good. Main attractions are all on the KI tourism website and you can spend a day (excursion by coach so no driving) or a week there and see loads.

Loved Kangaroo Island. Sand boarding on the 'Little Sahara' was lots of fun... the service station near there rents boards. Lovely wine and seafood. There is some totally amazing new luxury accommodation on KI called Southern Ocean Lodge - Kangaroo Island - Southern Ocean Lodge - Luxury Accommodation on Kangaroo Island

If this is in your budget, enjoy (and I'm very jealous!) However I think KI is the perfect place for camping.

Remarkable Rocks really are quite remarkable and lots of great walking opportunities. I spent 2 nights, 3 days there which was a perfect amount of time - if the weather's good enough for swimming or basking the sun, allow at least this long. It's pretty chilly and windy compared to the mainland. Enjoy Lawrence and tell us about it if you do end up going! =)

Cheers, Robin

Just a tip..

Try to be back to where you are staying by sunset. The wild life certainly comes out and plays chicken without he car on the way back.

It's certainly a long drive if you get fought on the roads at night waiting for a furry creature to pop out in front of your headlights.

Great camping thou..

If you go to the cemetry just out side penes haw you can find he grave of the first settler, watch out for the bull ants nest right by it, you wake them up as you stand reading the stone..