We are so lucky to live here...

Diane

Had a beautiful afternoon out yesterday: took the Sprite for a run into the Barossa, had lunch at the Barossa Valley Estate (courtesy of a Cudo voucher) including one of the nicest Rieslings I've tried (most of which obviously I had to take care of, as OH was driving - ;)) and a platter of local foods. We've been caught out in McLaren Vale wineries in the past with them stopping serving food after about 2pm on Sundays and public holidays, but this place was happy to keep serving till 4, so a big tick there from me.

Seppeltsfield Road, where the winery is located, is a lovely road bordered by palm trees.

Apparently, during the Great Depression, with no work in the wineries or the vineyards to offer their employees, the Seppeltsfield winery put their workers, winemakers, and everyone to work planting over 2000 palm trees, so that they didn't have to lay them off.

Then on to Angaston and a stop at a small cafe in the main street there (opposite the Blacksmith's - think it used to be called the Rendezvous but has recently been taken over) for a nice afternoon tea, and then long chat with the new owner.

Anyone that hasn't been out to the Barossa, it's well worth a visit - beautiful and getting prettier by the day as we go into autumn and the leaves start to turn and the grapes near their harvest. Lovely little towns such as Williamstown, Angaston, Tanunda and Lyndoch, great places to stop for a browse or a stroll, or a bit of wine tasting, or coffee and a cake. And the most friendly people everywhere.

Roof down on the car so we could hear the birds as we drove along, warm (but not too hot) air in our hair, beautiful scenery, water in the reservoirs (ok, pretty rare that, but really stunning underthe blue sky) almost empty roads, kangaroos and emus in the fields alongside the roads (luckily they stayed in the fields as I was envisioning one ending up sitting in my lap otherwise!) - had to keep pinching myself to remind myself that all this is on our doorstep (for us just about 40 minutes drive right into the heart of the region).

Guest moonraker1959

I've always loved that neck of the woods Diane.My two brothers live up that way so spent many weekends up there.The palm tree's at Seppelts always remind me of a mirage in the desert!They look quite spectacular don't they?I love Autumn in SA.The weather is just right I reckon.You just start feeling that nip in the air when the sun goes down,and then its time to order your wood in!When I was married to my first husband we nearly brought a house in the Barossa.The only reason we did'nt was because my husband at the time worked in Windsor Gardens and did'nt want to travel down North Road each day for work!We ended up heading east!Sounds like you had a very relaxing day!x

I took these photos near Seppeltsfield last winter

[ATTACH]1550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1551[/ATTACH]

I also like the sculpture park at Menglers Hill lookout.

We had a lovely day in the hills yesterday, the weather has been superb. Visited Waterfall Gully - I needed to get away from the coast and suburbia and see some trees and hills !

We had a lovely day in the hills yesterday, the weather has been superb. Visited Waterfall Gully - I needed to get away from the coast and suburbia and see some trees and hills !

This is our first autumn in the hills (Nairne) and although all my spare time is spent building retaining walls and trying to turn a building site into a garden, it is a gorgeous place this time of year (actually, it's not bad the rest of the year!)

If only we had a few less crickets and millipedes!

Jim

• 3 months later...