Paying for your bus ticket

Guest Woody and Jane

Guest Woody and Jane

Hi, this may sound like a stupid question what with it being 2011 and all but can you buy your bus ticket with a note or do you need exact change?

I only ask as you have to use coins to get your ticket on a train.

Cheers

Woody.

Guest scmercer
Hi, this may sound like a stupid question what with it being 2011 and all but can you buy your bus ticket with a note or do you need exact change?

I only ask as you have to use coins to get your ticket on a train.

Cheers

Woody.

I have used a note before but I would always try and have change. You can purchase your tickets before you get on the bus in certain newsagents . I haven't used the bus that often, but when I have most people have already purchased their tickets before boarding.

Guest Woody and Jane

Thanks!

If you can buy a bus ticket from a newsagent does that mean a bus ticket is a set price no matter how far down the route you go?

Guest scmercer
Thanks!

If you can buy a bus ticket from a newsagent does that mean a bus ticket is a set price no matter how far down the route you go?

I am not too sure as only ever purchased for one route, but I think the price varies depending on when you intend returning.

I buy multitrip tickets for the kids - I think it is one price for one journey as long as it doesn't last more than a certain amount of time. So if they change busses two or three times within an hour or so, it all counts as one journey!

You can buy tickets at some supermarkets (Foodland near us sells them) and Post Offices, as well as some petrol stations and delis. You then just get the ticket validated in the machine on the bus and can bypass the driver. I have also bought single tickets direct from the driver, and never had a problem not having the right change, or not having coins. Just depends how much change the driver has I guess.

But I'm sure Cornish will be along soon with a definitive answer!

Guest Lisado

Hi

We buy a $30 multiway ticket for the week as we travel into the City everyday. It allows you to go on the bus and train and is definately worth buying. YOu can get them from newsagents and at the train station. If you dont have change on the train, you can buy the ticket at the station and they validate it there and then.

Also saves the hassle of having loose change.

You can also pay for this using your debit or credit card

Lisa

There is also an off peak multi trip ticket you can get for $16 so if you are travelling after 9am and before 3pm this can save you a tonne of cash. Once validated you can change as often as you like within 2 hours. Can be useful if you can go to the destination and back within 2 hours and it would only have cost you $1.60 on the off peak or $3.00 on the on peak multi trip ticket (if that makes sense!) The ticket has 10 journeys on it.

Guest cornish Busdriver

The correct change is always very welcome even if its in 5 cent peices.

We are only given a $30 float to use and if someone gets on with a 20 thats most of it gone.

50's and 100's are not accepted at all.

2 section tickets are only one way and cover around 7 stops / $2.70 peak - $1.90 interpeak

Regular ticket / $4.60 peak - $2.80 interpeak

Tafe and uni students / $2.30 peak - $1.20 interpeak

High school students / $2.20 peak - $1.20 interpeak

Regular day ticket / $8.30

Child or concession day ticket / $4.30

Peak time / before 9am and after 3pm also all weekends and public holidays

Interpeak times / between 9am to 3pm weekdays only

On weekends and public holidays a regular day ticket alows the adult to take 2 kids for free.

If your bus ticket does not work the driver will issue you a blue slip which then you have to get your ticket changed with in 24hrs but means you then get free travel for the rest of the day.

Guest guest4504
The correct change is always very welcome even if its in 5 cent peices.

We are only given a $30 float to use and if someone gets on with a 20 thats most of it gone.

50's and 100's are not accepted at all.

2 section tickets are only one way and cover around 7 stops / $2.70 peak - $1.90 interpeak

Regular ticket / $4.60 peak - $2.80 interpeak

Tafe and uni students / $2.30 peak - $1.20 interpeak

High school students / $2.20 peak - $1.20 interpeak

Regular day ticket / $8.30

Child or concession day ticket / $4.30

Peak time / before 9am and after 3pm also all weekends and public holidays

Interpeak times / between 9am to 3pm weekdays only

On weekends and public holidays a regular day ticket alows the adult to take 2 kids for free.

If your bus ticket does not work the driver will issue you a blue slip which then you have to get your ticket changed with in 24hrs but means you then get free travel for the rest of the day.

:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Forgot to add

tickets purchased on the bus exculding day tickets and 2 section tickets only last for 2 hrs.

However if your ticket is running out of time just jump on any bus and validate it then get off again and it will cover you for an extra hour.

Bus drivers are used to people doing this so dont worry.

Guest Woody and Jane

Thanks everyone. I don't know about you but the fact you can buy one ticket and chop and change between train and bus is pretty cool. Will the same ticket also work on a tram?

Guest cornish Busdriver
Thanks everyone. I don't know about you but the fact you can buy one ticket and chop and change between train and bus is pretty cool. Will the same ticket also work on a tram?

The trams are free around the city and yes the same ticket can also be used on the trams