Too far??

Hi

Please excuse my Scottish idea of distance, I live in a country you can drive from top to bottom in a day! We have been looking at living around Port Noarluga area, well South of the City anyway, but as a nurse I don't want to limit my work prospects in hospitals when I first arrive, so is it too far to drive to hospitals North of the City? Would hope eventually to get a job near where I live but would first take just about anything! I would rather live where I prefer and commute, but am I being silly with the distances? Thanks for any info

Gill :daydreaming:

Guest moonraker1959

That depends how far north you might be planning to go! If you're talking about say the Lyell in Elizabeth then that would be quite some commute!Gawler is even further.So how far north?Any idea?

Also bear in mind that although a commute of 45 mins might be acceptable to you, when employers are looking at Resumes they quite often reject any that they feel have too far to travel. I have heard of employees around Gepps Cross area (not hospitals though) who won't even consider a CV from someone living as far south as Port Noarlunga.

Hi

Please excuse my Scottish idea of distance, I live in a country you can drive from top to bottom in a day! We have been looking at living around Port Noarluga area, well South of the City anyway, but as a nurse I don't want to limit my work prospects in hospitals when I first arrive, so is it too far to drive to hospitals North of the City? Would hope eventually to get a job near where I live but would first take just about anything! I would rather live where I prefer and commute, but am I being silly with the distances? Thanks for any info

Gill :daydreaming:

We live in Sellicks Beach and my wife works at the RAH, I don't think they'd discount you living in Port Noarlunga - you could ring and ask though. If you are doing shifts, the journey is often quicker as you miss the traffic - but you can miss the Express Way :goofy:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Roads+and+traffic/Road+network/Southern+Expressway

Cooler

Thanks everyone,

That gives me a clearer idea. It's good to know some people do the trip, as don't want to limit my job pospects! Think we will also start considering other areas, but liked the look of the South.

Wanted to check as I remember on my first trip to Oz when I was going to Sydney, that I thought I would be able to drive up to Brisbane for the weekend! Oz maps are very misleading to my scottish brain!

Thanks again

Gill

Guest BurgessFamily
You can get the train from Noarluga to the city then a short walk along north tce to the hospital.

When they build the new hospital the walk will be shorter.

Loads of people do this trip every day.

Rob

People are getting the train from Noarlunga every day? I thought it was shut. :eek:

The upgrade of the train link into the city is making the commute a nightmare at the moment...

It normally takes 40 minutes from the Noarlunga interchange to the central station. Buses are presently taking people to Oaklands where you then pick up the train.

Will it be quicker when all the diesel locomotives are replaced with electric trains...maybe not but with everything being brand new it should be a lot more comfortable!

The upgraded train link will mean a lot not just for Port Noarlunga but also for suburbs like Seaford. Many new migrants are moving to this suburb and the exttension of the Noarlunga line to Seaford will save plenty of time. People who live in Seaford will walk to the station instead of driving through to the Noarlunga park and ride.

As for hospitals and work. There's the Noarlunga hospital, there's Flinders and there's the Repat...all South of the city. Also under construction at the moment is the massive health village at Noarlunga.

Tamara

Guest rowy
We live in Sellicks Beach and my wife works at the RAH, I don't think they'd discount you living in Port Noarlunga - you could ring and ask though. If you are doing shifts, the journey is often quicker as you miss the traffic - but you can miss the Express Way :goofy:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Roads+and+traffic/Road+network/Southern+Expressway

Cooler

Hi, I work in the Women's and Children's, so similar distance from the RAH, and live in Woodcroft. Commute is quicker on shifts, takes me about 35 mins on a good run, not a problem. Good luck, Penny