Where to go, any ideas greatly received...

Guest sedgecl

Guest sedgecl

Hi All

Complete dilemma here, I have been looking at websites for ideas of where to stay when we visit in October, I have probably looked at too many and have no idea where to stay.

We are a family of 4, me, OH and 2 boys, 8 and 7yrs, we would like somewhere near to the sea and not to far from the city, between 10-20 miles out of the city, as my eldest does get car sick. When we return, I would like to the boys to be able to join outdoor activities, so somewhere that would cater for this.

Ideally the warmer part of SA would be best, I have heard that Victoria Harbour area can be quite chilly and quite at winter.

It has been nearly 20 years since I visited Adelaide, so I guess there have been many changes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Do you mean to stay short term for a recce visit, or are you coming over for good in October? If here on a visit, I would suggest trying to find somewhere reasonably central to that you don't have to spend all your time on long car trips while you explore different areas. Most holiday rentals do tend to be on the west side of town (i.e. near the beach) all the way down from Semaphore (in the north west) to somewhere like Aldinga (south west), but the sea may be a little cold in October for swimming....

Yes, Victor Harbor does tend to be a little cooler in both summer and winter months - although a great place for Whale Watching from about April to October. If you are coming over for a look round as well, you may find it a bit far out, particularly with a car sick child! The "hotter parts of SA" tend to be the inland towns as of course, the further north you are in Australia, the warmer it gets. But they are also very rural and again a long drive out from the main city.

There's a section on here listing various short term rentals : http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-business-adverts/10453-short-term-furnished-rentals.html and also you can look at the Home2Home website suburb database which lists suburbs by the distance/time away from the CBD (Central Business District) - http://www.h2h.com.au

HTH

Guest sedgecl

Hi

yes, the short stay is October this year and then we move out 2012. Thanks for the above information, I will start searching..............

I would suggest Glenelg, 10k from city, on the beach, near the airport, lots of accommodation, plenty to do, tram to the city. West Beach is a bit quieter and has some holiday apartments and a caravan park.

See http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/sa/adelaide/glenelg

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/sa/adelaide/west-beach

http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/

Guest SA Great

I agree with Anne, Glenelg would be a great place to stay. October weather is quite changeable so dont expect too many trips to the sea!!

Glad Diane corrected you on the correct pronunciation of "Victor Harbor"!! lol

Guest sedgecl
I agree with Anne, Glenelg would be a great place to stay. October weather is quite changeable so dont expect too many trips to the sea!!

Glad Diane corrected you on the correct pronunciation of "Victor Harbor"!! lol

Opps, really sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, but thank you for the information.

Opps, really sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, but thank you for the information.

LOL I didn't even notice you'd mis-spelt it to be honest, as I knew what you meant! I remember someone explaining to me why there was no "u" in the "Harbor" bit - but I can't remember what they said!

Guest Aussie pat

We have a little holiday home in Victor and according to the guide book we read the missing u is because someone misspelt it when the area was surveyed and it has never been corrected.

LOL I didn't even notice you'd mis-spelt it to be honest, as I knew what you meant! I remember someone explaining to me why there was no "u" in the "Harbor" bit - but I can't remember what they said!

• 2 weeks later...
We have a little holiday home in Victor and according to the guide book we read the missing u is because someone misspelt it when the area was surveyed and it has never been corrected.

If I remember rightly it was some surveyor back in the late 1800's who spelt it wrong and If i remember rightly agaian the train station is pelt with the 'u' in it.