Alice Springs info please!

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good accommodation,things to see and do in Alice Springs.

Looks like I'm having a trip up with a friend in October.Hopefully it will be nice at that time of year.

It's a trip of a lifetime for my friend. Travelling in style on the Gahn with 4/5 days up there.

My friend is not that steady on his feet so anything really strenuous is out.

He does want a ride on a Camel and get around a bit.

I really want him to have such a memorable trip it will mean so much to someone who has not a good hand of card dealt to him in life.

Any tips and recommendations are very much appreciated:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Guest75
I haven't been for 20 odd years, but I went on a balloon ride. definitely recomned that.

It will be cool at night and warm in the day.

You will struggle to find stuff to do for 4/5 days TBH, can you get to Ularu in that time too?

I reckon the balloon ride would be out. My friend can be very unsure on his feet and may actually panic.

A trip out to Ularu is one on the list I reckon.Probably go on an organised trip.

Plenty of pubs there I hope :D

You can probably do a 3-4 day organised round trip of Uluru/Kings Canyon etc, there are trips with various expectations of accommodation and exertion, which should include sunrise/set at Uluru.

Yes there are lots of pubs in Alice, make sure you bring your ID though, they have regulations to be very strict about that.

I spent a week around Alice Springs 19 years ago when I was backpacking and really loved it. My friend and I stayed in Alice Springs but also spent a couple of nights at 2 places, on either side of Alice, which are still operating.

Ross River Homestead was to the east and had a range of accommodation, it was a nice spot with a swimming pool and a good bar (most of my memories are of the bar!). http://www.rossriverresort.com.au/

However the scenary at Glen Helen to the west, was far more spectacular. It was in a gorgeous location, there was a huge waterhole there with red cliffs either side that you could go swimming in. One of my favourite places I've visited in Australia. It was a really relaxing and homely spot.

http://www.glenhelen.com.au/

The road there also went past Ormiston Gorge, Standley Chasm, Serpentine Gorge - all worth a visit with only a short walk involved. We hired a car from Alice but make sure you don't drive after dark as there is so much cattle around.

Alice Springs has had some problems recently with aboriginals drinking and getting rowdy in the streets (I saw a program about it on Sky UK news a couple of days ago).

Uluru is a long way from Alice (460 km) so a day trip is only really possible if you fly.

Guest Damien

Yes there are lots of pubs in Alice, make sure you bring your ID though, they have regulations to be very strict about that.

I know the sun can cause premature ageing of the skin but it's stretching it a bit to claim you're under 25 Russ :biglaugh:

I saw a news item a while ago on Alice Springs, there's a fair bit of trouble there with gangs fighting in the streets, Indigenous people drinking all day and scrapping coz there is nothing else for them to do there.

Is this for your vollie work? Good onya I reckon mate.

Guest Guest75

I know the sun can cause premature ageing of the skin but it's stretching it a bit to claim you're under 25 Russ :biglaugh:

I saw a news item a while ago on Alice Springs, there's a fair bit of trouble there with gangs fighting in the streets, Indigenous people drinking all day and scrapping coz there is nothing else for them to do there.

Is this for your vollie work? Good onya I reckon mate.

Cheek,I'm 3ft tall and can't claim I'm under 25.:biglaugh:

Yep,it's my vollie work :cute:

hi russell

if your mate isnt up to a long 12 hour day excursion from alice to ayers by coach i would suggest staying overnight at ayers resort. actually i would suggest that anyway.........you can see sunset and sunrise then and drive over to the olgas( better than ayers but maybe not if walking is an issue).

are you going?

i didnt spend long in alice 1 night.

I've done Alice Springs, Uluru and Kings Canyon. I also organised my Mum & Dad to go up a couple of years ago. My Dad has Parkinsons Disease so he's also unsteady on his feet. They went up on the Ghan to Alice Springs, a couple of days is all that is required as there isn't that much to do there apart from the School of the Air and the pubs and if your friend is unsteady you need to make sure that the accommodation is smack bang in the City Centre. Our hotel was a good 20 minute walk from town. There is a large amount of aboriginal people, if you are spooked easily by their presence, it can be very intimidating as they call out from across the park and beg for money. After a couple of days there, we organised a bus trip to Uluru but you can arrange a flight direct if its too long. The bus trip does stop along the way for a camel ride experience and try a camel burger! When you get to Uluru, you can book trips to Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and then sunset and champange under the stars and then get up at dawn to see sunrise. I felt it was a bit rushed at Uluru and wished I had spent another night there. Then its another bus trip to Kings Canyon for one night and then back to Ayres Rock for the flight home.

Its a fantastic experience, I would definitely do it again. Very expensive. Have lots of fun!

Ps if you go up on the Ghan, you can also split this trip up by stopping off at Coober Pedy and stay in the underground hotel!

Guest Guest75

Thanks to all who have replied,PM'd and called.:notworthy:

This is a really special journey for my friend.

I know him through Minda where I volunteer.

This is why I'm taking a lot of trouble planning the trip.

We'll be hiring a car definitely.

Guest Nick11

It sounds like you're going to have a great time...am so looking forward to my holiday with my mate. Nothing will be too much trouble.

Feel very honoured.

x

Guest Guest75
It sounds like you're going to have a great time...am so looking forward to my holiday with my mate. Nothing will be too much trouble.

Feel very honoured.

x

I'm bringing him down to our place today for tea. :cute:

He is dying to see the boat.

Mrs T made him a special fish pie.:D

Guest panther
I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good accommodation,things to see and do in Alice Springs.

Looks like I'm having a trip up with a friend in October.Hopefully it will be nice at that time of year.

It's a trip of a lifetime for my friend. Travelling in style on the Gahn with 4/5 days up there.

My friend is not that steady on his feet so anything really strenuous is out.

He does want a ride on a Camel and get around a bit.

I really want him to have such a memorable trip it will mean so much to someone who has not a good hand of card dealt to him in life.

Any tips and recommendations are very much appreciated:notworthy::notworthy:

There are a large number of types of accomodation in Alice and the prices do vary depending on the time of the year and if tourist numbers.

There is a great deal to see in Alice which would be suitable for you both including the following right in the town,

Art Shops

Old timers Musuem

Panorama Guth( Art Gallery) Well worth Visiting

Just out of town is the Old Telegraph Station and Park

The Animal Park i am not sure of its correct name that is a definate Must see

Date Farm

I have over the years Travelled to Alice as both a BackPacker and for work and have never been bored, no need to visit every water hole in town

Panther