Activation Holiday Advice

Guest viewaskew

Guest viewaskew

Hi all,

We just this month got our 176 visa (whoopee!) and have to activate it before May next year.

We're looking to come out in the UK school summer hols to do this and to check out Adelaide in person as I guess many have done so before us (if I can save enough for the flights thanks to the 3x tax increases on long haul destinations).

It may work out financially prudent to fly to Melbourne and drive across to Adelaide so would be looking for somewhere in Adelaide for two weeks so we can tour the city, schools and houding suburbs.

I'm sure many here have done the same thing and any suggestions for a two week location around the 13th August for a family consisting of myself and the wife, two kids 13 and 10.

Great forum, I look forward to posting and reading much more in the coming weeks!

Thanks!

Guest viewaskew

Thanks Diane for the info.

We've booked the flights now for the 15th Aug to Melbourne and driving across but still need to find somewhere for the 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Paul

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Well done on the visa.

We too are going out there in August for our reccie trip and fly to Adelaide on the 20th. We are staying 2 nights in a hotel in Adelaide and then go on to Moana. We have rented a house there. It was much cheaper to do the rental as the hotel costs were pretty expensive. We are a family of three, OH is Alex, myself Allison and Connor our 15 year old son. Connor is extremely reluctant so we are hoping to sell it all to him. What are your plans when you get there?

Guest viewaskew

Hi Allison, Good thing is with us that the 13 year old is dying to move out. I predicted that would all change in a couple of years and you’ve helped prove that. Such a difficult age for them (and any parent no doubt!)

We’re still looking for somewhere appropriate. Prefer not a hotel but a house to get a non holiday feel to the stay. I’ll be talking to a few companies when over and the better half looking at schools and the Uni’s as she needs to take a year out to convert her teacher status over for Oz.

Let us know if you want to catch up for a drink out there to discuss paths taken to get us where we are today and impressions of Adelaide etc.

Hi there,

Let us know where you are staying when you are all booked. We are hiring a car so hope to get around the various subs as well.

Would be useful to swap mobile numbers if you like so we can all meet up and maybe have a drink etc. May be good for us to have a contact we can chat to whilst there and speak with another family who understands what we are going through! Anyway........exciting isn't it!......6 weeks to go......

Regards Allison and family

• 4 weeks later...
Guest viewaskew

Finally just booked now. Talk about leaving it late. We're staying in Tennyson from the 15th to the 22nd Aug then off to Sydney to see old friends for a week. Rush rush, would love to have stayed longer but no can do. I'll PM our mobiles over. If it's possible, it would be great to discuss the process and impressions albeit not in-depth ones of Adelaide.

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest viewaskew

Hi Allison,

Not to worry. Sure would be good to exchange family views when we're all back especially as we're off to Sydney the 2nd week to meet friends and Uncle.

Flights at 10pm tonight and suitcase not even full yet, oh gawd!

Oz here we come.

Thanks,

Paul