passports for babies born in Oz

Guest The Morleys

Guest The Morleys

Hi all

I have just given birth to twins, they are 8 weeks old now. because they were born here they have Aussy birthcirtificates but i was wondering what happens should we wish to return to the UK either on Hol or for good (not that we're planning on returning but you never know what the future holds) We are on a 176 visa so are perm residents. I thought the twins would get dual nationality but who do I need to contact in the UK to organise that and what about passports do they need UK or AU ones?

Thanks

Nina

you don't need to contact anyone about the dual nationality, your twins are just entitled to it. As they were born here and you are perm residents they do have Australian citizenship, which means they will have to travel out and back in to Australia on Australian Passports. As you are UK citizens and if you or your partner were born in the UK then your wins acquired citizenship by descent at birth. They are entitled to UK passports. You can download the forms from the internet. You fill them out and provide documentation of your citizenship, ie a UK birth cert and theBHS accepts birth certs from commonwealth countries so you don't have to register their birth. The Australia post office processes all uk passport forms now as they are sent offshore to NZ. Your twins will have full rights to live and work in the EU /UK but they wont be able to pass on their citizenship to their kids unless they are born in the uk or the other parent is a uk born citizen.

you don't need to contact anyone about the dual nationality, your twins are just entitled to it. As they were born here and you are perm residents they do have Australian citizenship, which means they will have to travel out and back in to Australia on Australian Passports. As you are UK citizens and if you or your partner were born in the UK then your wins acquired citizenship by descent at birth. They are entitled to UK passports. You can download the forms from the internet. You fill them out and provide documentation of your citizenship, ie a UK birth cert and theBHS accepts birth certs from commonwealth countries so you don't have to register their birth. The Australia post office processes all uk passport forms now as they are sent offshore to NZ. Your twins will have full rights to live and work in the EU /UK but they wont be able to pass on their citizenship to their kids unless they are born in the uk or the other parent is a uk born citizen.

Just wanted to clarify one point. If some who is british by descent has spent three years in the UK at some point before the birth of their child, then that child if born abroad will be entitled to citizenship by descent also.

Hi all

I have just given birth to twins, they are 8 weeks old now. because they were born here they have Aussy birthcirtificates but i was wondering what happens should we wish to return to the UK either on Hol or for good (not that we're planning on returning but you never know what the future holds) We are on a 176 visa so are perm residents. I thought the twins would get dual nationality but who do I need to contact in the UK to organise that and what about passports do they need UK or AU ones?

Thanks

Nina

If they are living in Australia, then they'll need australian passports, as they don't have a visa.

They'll be able to travel to the UK on holiday, though you may get told off by UK immigration, as countries prefer their nationals to enter and leave on their local passports. However if you want to go and live in the UK, then you'll need to get their UK passports also.

Just wanted to clarify one point. If some who is british by descent has spent three years in the UK at some point before the birth of their child, then that child if born abroad will be entitled to citizenship by descent also.

unless this has changed, this applies if you apply before your child is 1 and the child has to be residing in the UK at the time of application. You also need proof of your own three years residency such as school enrolment records if you moved away as a child.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/livingintheuk/

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/bornabroad/

According to that second link it's anytime up to the child's 18th birthday, and they don't have to be in the UK. They'll only be citizens by descent though.

When we did this in reverse, our son being born in the UK (to Aussie father and English mother) it was really straightforward to apply for his Aussie citizenship by descent and then once we had that to get him an Aussie passport. Just download the forms online, go through the application process and it'll be easy enough. Yes it may cost but if you want it all in place its far easier to just get it done and be sorted/

Personally I'd always do this when child is young (we did it before son was 6 months old) as its one of the things we'd then probably not get around to or keep putting off and then never getting to it. If we have another baby we'll do the same again with duel nationality from the off being properly in place with all the paperwork filed and passports obtained. Our son has his Aussie passport before he was 2 months old then. His UK one we didn't get till he was almost 2 and we wanted to go to Aus for a visit. Was so much hassle to then get the paperwork verifed for his UK paperwork (we had moved, hadn't known people the two years required to verify etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loopylisa

Seriously try and get both passports and do it asap. I had loads of hassle trying to get proof of citizenship and my aussie passport cus we were naughty and left AUS on our UK passports!!!:policeman: