Messing about on the river

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Bloody good day today. We met up with some mates and took our boats up the Glenelg River. We launched at Dry Creek and headed about 10km upstream to a campsite only accessible by boat. We soon started a fire and had a great barbie. Then we had a bit of a fish (I won 15 bream to 2). We only saw two other boats all day. On the way back we hit 32 knots with Kieran standing out of the front hatch pretending to fly. Awesome! Lisa and the kids just loved the campsite, they explored, the dog swam all day (never seen her swim before) and we're all bloody knackered now.

The scenery down here is amazing, the river gorge towers 50m above you and averages 6-8m deep with bitterns, egrets, kookaburras etc and there is noone else about. Awesome. :wink::biggrin:

Guest Damien
What boat you got?

Depends if you're talking work or pleasure mate. My own boat is a 4.57m Swiftcraft with 70hp Johnson, the work boat's a bit different, 8.5m Naiad, twin 150hp on the back and an absolute beast :policeman::wink:

Guest Helchops

Nice...my father in law has a rib (5.00m - twin Yamaha 50Hp) down in Cornwall which is loads of fun...feeling the need to get something. What's the Market like for used boats (esp. Price wise?).

Guest SA Great

Sounds like you are hating living down there Damien!!!! Good on ya mate. Hey how far can you go up the Glenelg river in a boat?? We bought a brand new Bayliner 175 last week and it hasnt seen the water yet! Well apart from a trial run at Goolwa. Went to the Glenelg river last year and thought it was fantastic. Got a bit tired keep winding my watch back and forward as it winds between SA and Victoria though! Would love to take the boat down there one day.

Guest Damien

I think you can get about 80km inland. And don't worry about the time..........just chill and enjoy the surroundings mate! New Bayliner hey, very nice!

Helchops - check out boatsales.com.au (I think or something similar), alltypes of boats/budgets on there.