Rush Hour

jimmyskinner

Jaynes first day at work today, I drove her to work, left our house in Grange at 7-14am and arrived at railway station North Terrace at 7-33am:biggrin:, and we drove steady,Also a lot of people seem to think drivers in SA are bad, I used to drive 1800 miles a week all over Uk and have driven about 4000 over here and think the drivers there are much worse, if you do see bad driving they're probably British. :rolleyes:

Hi, I don't find driving in bad from noarlunga, but if I'm too close to 4 pm on the way home I do get stuck on south road, which is a pain! I do find the driving a bit erratic but as a fairly terrible driver myself am enjoying the wacky races! As I also now drive an automatic my hubbie says it's like I'm at the dodgems! I chose to take this as a compliment :)

Gillx

Guest Ryan T. Lion

My commute to Seacliff station is about 60 seconds.

The train is 21 minutes into Adelaide, and my office is on the other side of the subway.

Beat that.

<invites flames and runs for cover>

My journey from Morphett Vale to Lonsdale usually takes 5 mins, and this week it's still 5 mins.... :biglaugh:

Seriously though I don't like the journey into the city or across town much, there's just to many traffic lights. Took 45 mins to get to the Hackney hotel on Friday night after 6:30pm, it's only 30km, traffic wasn't that bad, but stopped at nearly every set of lights, wasn't much quicker coming home. Driving around is very easy, just slow.

I wouldn't regard before 7:30 here as rush hour, especially during school holidays. Mostly, driving through suburbs isn't bad any time of day, but going through the CBD or main roads north/south of it at certain times can be a pain. It can easily take half an hour to go hardly anywhere - I know, I sit through it most evenings! Once away from the mayhem, the roads are pretty good. I disagree with the OP about driving standards, though; tailgating is awful here, as is the must-drive-to-the-speed-limit-no-matter-what-the-conditions attitude, and don't get me started on people nattering away with a phone stuck to their ear (or the new and rather delightful habit of having a tablet PC perched on the steering wheel ...)

Jim

Guest Ryan T. Lion
(or the new and rather delightful habit of having a tablet PC perched on the steering wheel ...)

Jim

I've seen worse - alongside me at some lights near the Westfield Marion a few weeks ago - a driver watching music videos on an iPod, which was suckered to the top corner of her windscreen - and she had a kid in the back, too.

You couldn't make it up.

I wouldn't regard before 7:30 here as rush hour, especially during school holidays. Mostly, driving through suburbs isn't bad any time of day, but going through the CBD or main roads north/south of it at certain times can be a pain. It can easily take half an hour to go hardly anywhere - I know, I sit through it most evenings! Once away from the mayhem, the roads are pretty good. I disagree with the OP about driving standards, though; tailgating is awful here, as is the must-drive-to-the-speed-limit-no-matter-what-the-conditions attitude, and don't get me started on people nattering away with a phone stuck to their ear (or the new and rather delightful habit of having a tablet PC perched on the steering wheel ...)

Jim

I've seen sales reps in UK driving at 70+ mph with a clip board on the steering wheel writing notes, and a hgv driver eating soup from a pan which i'm guessing he warmed up while he was driving.

Not as good as the lady driving down wacky races road (the road from o'halloran hill down to the city) at 90-100...eating cornflakes whilst applying her make up!!!!!! Who says women cant multi-task!!!!!!

Can't agree.I had an appointment in CBD for 9 am a few months ago.Left Sturt RD/Brighton RD at 7.40 am,drove the 14 kms and got there at 9.05!!!!Get stuck in traffic here,and hit lights and it's a nightmare.And i also find the driving atrocious.Loads of blurts around,who MUST get in front of the car in front,and tailgate,weave and bully their way just to end up a mile down the road sat at the lights next to you!I love pulling up next to these idiots to see just what kind of moron they are,and there is wide range,some old,some young,both male and female,no real stereotypical category.If you are not driving at the speed limit within seconds of moving off rest assured there will be a vehicle almost in your boot within seconds!Drove in the UK last year for 5 weeks and it was a pleasure to see a bit of courtesy on the roads.I like living here,but don't like driving here.

Can't agree.I had an appointment in CBD for 9 am a few months ago.Left Sturt RD/Brighton RD at 7.40 am,drove the 14 kms and got there at 9.05!!!!Get stuck in traffic here,and hit lights and it's a nightmare.And i also find the driving atrocious.Loads of blurts around,who MUST get in front of the car in front,and tailgate,weave and bully their way just to end up a mile down the road sat at the lights next to you!I love pulling up next to these idiots to see just what kind of moron they are,and there is wide range,some old,some young,both male and female,no real stereotypical category.If you are not driving at the speed limit within seconds of moving off rest assured there will be a vehicle almost in your boot within seconds!Drove in the UK last year for 5 weeks and it was a pleasure to see a bit of courtesy on the roads.I like living here,but don't like driving here.

:biglaugh:That is so true :notworthy: