Big waves?

Guest ReginaPhalange

Guest ReginaPhalange

Hi guys

I've noticed that most of the beaches in Adelaide seem to have very calm beaches with small or no waves. Are there any beaches with big waves, or even rollers you could bodyboard in?

Bit of a pointless question, but one that has been troubling me for a while! :v_SPIN:

Guest katsmajic

Southport get some pretty good waves, as does the Seaford end at Moana....best ones are all further south tho...waitpinga (not sure how to spell it) has massively rough waves....middleton is good too.

Guest sueedam

def Middleton. We went today and it had some excellent surf. Much more of a surfers bech rather than a sunbathing etc beach. We hired wet suit and board for $30 for the afternoon for my son who is 13 from the surf school people. Sure you will enjoy it.

Guest ReginaPhalange

Sounds great, thanks for the replies everyone! :notworthy: I love to be near the sea, and every now and then I need to visit a nice wild beach with huge, crashing waves. I do really enjoy bodyboarding, but it's also the sight of massive rolling waves - it does something to me on a deeper level. I'm sure plenty of you will understand what I mean! :v_SPIN: It's great to hear there will be a "wild" beach I can visit to get my cobwebs blown away, in addition to the lovely calm beaches of Adelaide's suburbs!

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff]

Waitpinga ( locally abbreviated to "Waits" ) and Parsons are two beaches separated by a point. Parsons Point is the best place to view Parson's Beach, to your west, or Waitpinga Beach, to your east. A dirt road leads off the main road from Cape Jervois, and is clearly signposted. Parson's has a series of beach breaks that break in all but the smallest swell, and a left hander that breaks off the point. This beach is very exposed to southern swell, and can have very heavy breaking waves and strong rips. Beach break quality is largely dependent on sand banks, which are often heavily guttered in the winter months resulting in big close-outs on larger swells. Parson's point starts breaking at around 3 feet, and has been known to handle up to 8' waves without closing out. It's best in the 3-5' range, and starts to barrel on the inside on a bigger swell. Around the point, and heading back toward Victor Harbour, you get the other side of the point, where not surprisingly you get right handers. On bigger swells, the Waits Point right hander can be a great wave. Plenty of open ocean power, big walls and a top to bottom break with a few barrels. Sometimes the point will hold out in a big swell while Waits and Parson's beachbreaks are closing out and unsurfable. Waits beach has several beach breaks, similar in character to Parsons, and dependent on sand banks for shape. Most of the waves tend to break into channels, where strong rips and backwash waves can surprise you as you paddle out. Right in front of the Waitpinga Carpark ( enter through the National Park ) is a small reef, that has a fairly consistent left and occasional right hander. This reef never is exposed, and the wave shape is effected more by sand build up than tide. The beach breaks at Waits and Parsons seem to prefer a low to mid tide, but this in turn depends on swell size and direction. Because of the heavy break and strong rips, learners should best keep clear of these beaches.

[h=4][/h][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest ReginaPhalange
[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff]

Waitpinga ( locally abbreviated to "Waits" ) and Parsons are two beaches separated by a point. Parsons Point is the best place to view Parson's Beach, to your west, or Waitpinga Beach, to your east. A dirt road leads off the main road from Cape Jervois, and is clearly signposted. Parson's has a series of beach breaks that break in all but the smallest swell, and a left hander that breaks off the point. This beach is very exposed to southern swell, and can have very heavy breaking waves and strong rips. Beach break quality is largely dependent on sand banks, which are often heavily guttered in the winter months resulting in big close-outs on larger swells. Parson's point starts breaking at around 3 feet, and has been known to handle up to 8' waves without closing out. It's best in the 3-5' range, and starts to barrel on the inside on a bigger swell. Around the point, and heading back toward Victor Harbour, you get the other side of the point, where not surprisingly you get right handers. On bigger swells, the Waits Point right hander can be a great wave. Plenty of open ocean power, big walls and a top to bottom break with a few barrels. Sometimes the point will hold out in a big swell while Waits and Parson's beachbreaks are closing out and unsurfable. Waits beach has several beach breaks, similar in character to Parsons, and dependent on sand banks for shape. Most of the waves tend to break into channels, where strong rips and backwash waves can surprise you as you paddle out. Right in front of the Waitpinga Carpark ( enter through the National Park ) is a small reef, that has a fairly consistent left and occasional right hander. This reef never is exposed, and the wave shape is effected more by sand build up than tide. The beach breaks at Waits and Parsons seem to prefer a low to mid tide, but this in turn depends on swell size and direction. Because of the heavy break and strong rips, learners should best keep clear of these beaches.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thank you for this info ShouldIStayOrShouldIGo, really good, lots to think about there. :notworthy: