How do you renew UK passport in SA?

Boxertony

Guest guest3462

print the forms from the British consulate website and fill them in. Get your passport photos done but make sure they are I'm compatible as Aussie ones are a different size. Then look on the aus post website to find the list of post offices that deals with passport applications sand contact your nearest for an appointment. Only get one photo signed!!! Once you have your interview the post office does the rest. It costs $186 for a child she doesn't have to go with you to do this. The application gets sent to the British embassy in NZ as the one in Canberra no longer deals with passports. We received ours within 10 days, it comes courier delivered from Sydney.

HTH

Julia

Hi

I know the post office at Marion shopping center does it .Download the forms and fill them in,but make sure the forms download properly and you get every thing that's on the screen on the paper(Long story).

You will need to make an appointment though ,you need to phone them then they will give you a time .I seem to remember it was about $300 not sure.

Cheers

Dean

the other posts are quite correct, print off and fill out the forms, including the checklist for renewing passports. As she is a child, her photo and form will need countersigning (adults don't need this unless their appearance has changed lots since the last passport photo). Then take everything to a post office and they sort it all out. It gets sent to the office in New Zealand to be processed, then you old passport and any other supporting documents are returned to you, and you new passport is courriered from the UK (as of august this year, they're printing all passports in the UK, basically because the machines for the new security features are really expensive)

Guest mark&rachel

Only just got my sons yesterday. As most people have said you print it off then down to certainpost offices. We went to Marion who did photos too.

Cost $203 and takes about a month

Thanks ever so much for your help, off to the Marion shops then. Diane I live in Fulham Gardens now. I don't come on this site any longer but it just goes to show that it's a site which is so helpful wherever you are in the migration process. 2 years in Feb 2012 we have been here. I am sure time goes quicker in Australia. A big thanks again!!!

• 3 months later...

We need to start thinking about renewing 3 UK passports and if we were residing or on holiday in the UK it would cost 204GBP to renew through the IPS but if we renew through Australia Post it costs $730.98 (495GBP)!! Is there any other way of renewing the passports as this fee is outrageous. Can we not just apply for passport renewals ourselves without using an agent who seems to be able to charge whatever they like as they have the monopoly?

No . the post office acts as a collection agency for UK passports before they go to NZ for processing. Whilst it is true that the passport in the UK would cost 70 pounds, this charge is charged at whatever the exchange rate is in local currency, plus the cost of sending the info to the UK plus sending the printed passport to Aus by registered post. All UK passports are now printed in the UK. UK passports are about $100 cheaper than they were three years ago due to the fab dollar to UK pound exchange rates. The only way to do it cheaper is to do it in the UK if you are there at a suitable time and for long enough. The fee is set by the High Commission and then changed into local currency, so Aus Post has nothing to do with the amount charged, just as they don't for Aus passports.

I booked a ten minute appoinment with West Lakes Post Office. I had already completed the passport form which I printed off the http://www.ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk The Post Office representative stated that it would take about 3 to 4 weeks to receive the Passport. The cost for an Adult Passport was $280.66. I received an Email from a Passport representative a couple of days later stating that my my daughter had not completed the Passport application correctly, she had not put her birth mother's date of birth and place of birth. I replied via Email witht he relevant information and the Passport Representative sent an Email back stating thanks and to inform me that it will not be long to wait to gain my daughters passport.

• 4 weeks later...

I have sent off and received my new passport, I have no way of knowing if my current electronic Australian visa has been transferred to my new passport. I put a note in with my forms but when the new one came back there was no note or acknowledgment of my request! I am travelling to NZ in 4 weeks, I can carry my old passport with my new one, but I was wondering if anyone can help, maybe I need to go into Immigration at Currie St and have it transferred?? Any ideas, Thankyou.

So update I have contacted the dept of immigration today and it is easier than I thought, the answer was as it is electronic, no sticker, it would have been transferred but they emailed me a short form that i need to complete and email back just giving my new passport number incase for their records. Thankyou and hopefully this may help others in the future. Just for info mine is a 4 year 457 visa. Thanks.