Adelaide in late Feb

Guest Taxi

hiya, we are looking at coming over late feb 2012 to validate our visas. We will have about five days as can only get 2 weeks leave and need to also spend about five days on the east coast visiting friends. we hope to spend the time looking around areas down to port willunga way, have a look at the hills and would also like to visit wilpena pound if not too hot? Before we book flights does anyone know of a particularly good time to visit? ie. avoiding holiday times, but conincide with good events etc? we are keen mountain bikers, runners abd surfers Has to be before end of march. Thanks!

I'd stay away from the Flinders in Feb/Mar unless you want to cook: it certainly won't be MTB weather there that time of year!! And if you already have your visas and are planning on moving out here at some point, why not visit your east coast friends when you move here for good, as you ae going to struggle to achieve anything here in 5 days! Again, unless you are planning to live in the Flinders Ranges, I'd save that for when you live here. We recently spent five days going there and back - from Adelaide - and still didn't get to see as much of it as we'd have liked! End of Feb/start of March tends to be extremely lively here in Adelaide, so accommodation may also be very hard to find. It's known as Mad March locally! Late Jan/early Feb might be a better time.... still hot though, but nice for the beaches/open air pools etc.

hi thanks for your reply! we're not intending to do any mountain biking while we are there in feb, just wondering if there were any events on that fit with our interests. Not an option to not vist our friends :smile: all we want to do around adelaide is have a quick look around some of the suburbs etc. I was under the impression that you could drive to wilpena pound as a day trip? If not then it's not an issue as we don't really have enough time to do touristy stuff. Thought it might be too hot also! Thanks for the heads up on end of feb/beginning of march exactly the info we were looking for. have provionally booked first 2 weeks of feb off work but just found out i'm pregnant so thought might want to delay it a little. sounds like we might be better off sticking to the original plan.

HI

Have just checked this page out http://everguide.com.au/adelaide/calendar/?startdate=2012-2-29&enddate=2012-3-30&page=1 and looks like the Clipsal 500 starts 1st March..... also have alook at

http://www.onkaparingacity.com/onka/discover.jsp? for things to do.

February is a great time to come to SA - the kids will be back and school and the weather is fab then too.

Sarah

Wow congrats on the pregnancy - how exciting!! Have a look on this site - I think they have an events section for mountain biking stuff: http://www.amtbc.com/

Think the drive to Wilpena Pound took about 7/8 hours: we stopped off en route at Melrose (about 5 hours) where they hold an annual mountain biking competition. Kangaroo Island is worth checking out if you have the time.

From an Aussie who hates the heat - February can be REALLY hot! It is a time of year when I like to stay home in an air-conditioned house and not have to be out and about if I can help it. There could very well be days of extreme heat, such as in the low 40's.

Then again, you can be lucky, as temperatures can be variable as well, but I have never liked the heat of February, and even March. A few years ago we had about 15 consecutive days of over 35C, and most of those were in the high 30's, low 40's. (I think that was in March.) It can be really tiring. Especially if you are arriving from a British winter straight into the hottest part of our summer, it could be very uncomfortable.

On the contrary, if I remember correctly, last year we had quite a pleasant summer, so you just never know.

The east coast could very well be more comfortable, depending on where you go. (If south of about Sydney - too far north and besides the heat you also get the humidity. Also, if you go too far inland it could be very hot.)

I don't really want to put a dampener on it and say it will definitely be too hot, but if you are prepared for the worst, then it won't seem so bad. Besides, you may enjoy the heat, especially for a short time, and you're younger than me, so you may also cope better! The best weather times for Adelaide, in my opinion, are April/May and August to October.

And definitely, no heading inland to Wilpena Pound this time of year, as has already been stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies. Have had to stick with the 1st 2 weeks of feb. If it is too hot we shall just have to spend our time in an aircond room! Im normally fine with the heat, have lived in australia and africa and spent time in the sahara, not sure how I will be at just over 3 months pregant though! I guess the reason for our trip is to validate so if we find we can't do too much, then so be it.

thanks again.

Guest guest3462

I completely agree with the others to definately give Wilpena a miss in feb, especially as you are pregnant. It will be far too easy for you to suffer dehydration up there esp if you suffer morning sickness and medical facilities up that far are not all that great for antenatal services (you could need aeromedical retrieval which could cost you very dearly financially!!) There are plenty of things to do around Adelaide that will keep you entertained for 5 days, especially if you intend to spend some of that looking at suburbs etc. I live in the next suburb to Port Willunga at Aldinga Beach and can vouch that it is a stunningly beautiful area to live. Also great for biking too. (The tour down under has stage 5 at Pt Willunga/Aldinga/Willunga every year and its amazing!!) Its being held the last week in jan so sadly you will just miss out but it's on sky sports so check it out! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry Clipsal is NOT worth the visit unless your an aussie bogan! There is a terrific new mountain bike park at the top of the old freeway at Eagle on the Hill. I know you said youre not going to be riding, but its still good place to spectate. You'll miss tour down under which is a shame but still worth your while to get out and about the local Adelaide Hills, LOTS to do there