flies a problem??

Guest tony

Hello every1, after a bit research we find us swaying towards adelaide or sa to live however just recently ive heard tht adelaide has a major fly problem. iv heard they attack your face all day long and make every day living a nightmare and also you have to wear those netted hats all the time? i just want to know if this is true, if its certain times of the year it hppens? it would defo put us off living there, ive heard brisbane aint anywhere near as bad as adelaide? thanks in advance

Guest BackToAdelaide

Nope, not sure where you read that. Flies in Australia, generally speaking, can get annoying. But you won't see anyone in the cities walking around wearing netted hats! And Adelaide is no worse than anywhere else.

Hi, yes there are flies here....but they are also in Melbourne, which we visited four years ago. We've been here just over a year, and, up to now, haven't found life unbearable because of them. They can be a bit of a nuisance, but, let's face it, so are the midges in the Lakes District..We haven't found the need to wear netted hats, or anything else either...Mind you, we are close to the beach, maybe up in the hills it may be different. South Australia is great, so pleased we decided to make it our home...

Guest Squareman

Tony, are you looking at killer bee infested suburbs or spider infested suburbs? Those are the two types we have and which require different types of protective clothing.

Guest Jo&Phil
Tony, are you looking at killer bee infested suburbs or spider infested suburbs? Those are the two types we have and which require different types of protective clothing.

Take no notice of Squareman .... nothing wrong with either bees or spiders ............. how do you feel about snakes?

Seriously: Only kidding ... no issues with any of the above, or flies, (unless you're in the middle of the outback at certain times of the year) and I've lived here 9 years and have yet to see a snake. Mosquitos like me a bit but that's because of my sweet English blood

Flies are not a problem in the city, and because houses have fly screens it is very rare to get one in the house, so they are less of a nuisance than in the UK. However I do remember once many years ago that they were out in large numbers in the city, I can remember walking in Glenelg with flies everywhere - and thinking that it was very unusual. My worst insect experience was actually in the UK, being in a plague of ladybirds on the Essex coast and believe me that was horrible as they were biting - it was like something out of a Hitchcock movie! (honest). Out in the outback the flies can drive you mad and you wish you had a hat with corks, but again that seems to vary with the weather and the time of year.

Only time we were bothered by them was in the Flinder in the height of summer - My husband wore a hat with net, I just relied on the Aussie wave. Only troubled us as we were hot and sweatty - it was over 40 degrees at the time. Never had a problem in the city, seaside or up in the hills.

You'll only find a lot of them in places where there are a lot of farm animals. Have to say I've hardly seen one this year. Certainly not found them in eyes/mouth etc like you sometimes see on pics on TV - definitely Adelaide is no worse than any other place, coastal, or hills - in fact, I reckon NSW is the worst from our travels.

Thanks again for all the useful advice, adelaide it is then. can any1 suggest any nice coastal suburbs? Its not essential but would add a nice touch being near the beach. aldinga beach looks nice does any1 know much abouth this area? also how much of the year is the weather nice? Thanks in advance

Guest Mandy6934

We live in henley beach which we love as it is right on the coast and only 20 mins from the city, easy to get anywhere, Grange, west beach, Semaphore and Largs this end are nice as well or there are Brighton and Glenelg a bit further south. Although Glenelg can be a bit of a tourist trap so the main beach areas can get crowded in summer. Although they do in henley as well which is why its so nice to have grange so close by as a back up when its busy. Just depends what you are after, i work in the city and want to make the most of my free time so dont want too big a commute. Good luck!

Henley beach sounds nice is the properties affordable there. im like you would love to make the most of my free time. do you have any idea how far henley beach is from hallett cove? do u have any info on aldinga beach? the properties seem quite affordable there. a think a pool would top it all off haha

Guest Mandy6934

The rental prices are pretty average, not sure about to buy try domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to give you an idea. It is a bit of a strange mix in henley as you can have huge multi million dollar houses n the sea front and more normal houses in the next couple of streets. I think you probably get more bang for your buck down south but i guess its like anywhere the closer you are to the city the more you pay. My OH works with a few aussies that live in hallet cove and tried to get me to look at a place there. It sounds lovelly but for me it just seems a bit too out the way and in the middle of no where, and as i said i don't want to commute too far. I guess it just depends what you are looking for and what is most important to you. I will say if you are renting it took us a while to find the right place, most we looked at had heaps of space but some were so out dated the bathroom suites were out of the 70's. It's amazing what they hink is acceptable here to rent out, you would never get away with it at home! Not sure what the properties to buy are like but if they are the same it might be worth having a bit saved in the budget to do a full

make over!

Guest Barney Rubble
Take no notice of Squareman .... nothing wrong with either bees or spiders ............. how do you feel about snakes?

Seriously: Only kidding ... no issues with any of the above, or flies, (unless you're in the middle of the outback at certain times of the year) and I've lived here 9 years and have yet to see a snake. Mosquitos like me a bit but that's because of my sweet English blood

Been here over 20 years and only once seen a brown snake and that was at the shack at the river.

We all stopped and watched it go next door then carried on drinking.

Oh i one i ran over on the way to the shack too :sad: so two in 20 + years . . . . .

You can buy small containers (size of jam jars) which you fill with water which attacts the flies to the smell (nice sweet smell too) then they crawl in and cannot get out.

This you put away from the patio or BBQ and you hardly notice them.

In Devon recently (October) and the b-in-law had fly paper up in the kitchen, grossed me out.

Hey Jo, what part of Hampshire ?

I'll look more into henley beach, it sounds ideal. is the beach itself nice? also could u give me a rough idea how much rent would be in that area for a decent property, modern preferably? roughly, pool would be a bonus but realise that may not happen. we're all coming over either this year or next hopefully for a holiday so will have a look for ourselves once there. They water jars sound the business lol how bad are winters in adelaide and how often does the nice weather last? im an electrician and oh is a support worker, would like to continue with my job over there but have been told it costs alot and you have to retrain. thanks again

Guest Barney Rubble

PM me with the electrical questions and a resume/qualifications.

May be able to fill in a few blanks for you.

Bad winters . . . . . have an umbrella somewhere, probably a golfing one :biggrin:

Does rain, but sunshine too, no week long gray days though.

Alright mate, sorry im new to this how do you pm?ha im an installation electrician with svq level 3. Got my 17th edition. i havent looked an awful lot into being an electrician over there yet just heard its a pain and alot of money retraining etc

Guest Mandy6934

It depends what you are after, we pay $390 a week for a house with 2 double bedrooms, granny flat with en-suite (great for visitors!), polished floor boards, 'rumpus' room, huge garage, laundry and a large back garden 5 min walk from the beach. You can pay a lot less if you go for a straight 2 bed unit or further from the beach, just depends what you need. I know it sounds a lot and we would never pay that much at home but the wages even it out. To give you an idea we looked at some 3 bed places further from the beach and they were around $350, places like Fulham Gardens or Lockleys are the suburb over, in land which are cheaper but for us it was just the right house in the perfect location so we were prepared to push the budget. West Beach seems a bit cheaper as well and it is literally next door to henley and has great beaches too. You can look at Henley or henley south, those are the suburbs.

The beaches are lovely plenty of space and amazing views. Henley square has a couple of good bars and nice restaurants. I love having lazy sunday brunch on the sea front, or just grabbing a coffee and going for a walk on the beach after work. I'm not sure we would do it half a much if we lived that bit further away.

Henley beach sounds ideal i'll defo be lookin more into this area, thats quite reasonable for rent, cheaper than i thought. would be looking at something with 3 or 4 bedrooms, have 2 boys and a spare room for visitors would be ideal. but being on the coast is a bonus, again a pool would be great aswell but not being too picky ha! do you know how far it is to hallett cove from henley beach? thanks again