Kangaroo Island thoughts pls......

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Hellooo!

Still busy making our Ch,cha,changes..........

Now getting to plan a bit more travelling, including catching up on some of the more local places we have not yet seen.

One which is........ Kangaroo Island. Kept meaning to pop down but after nearly 12 years never made it :biglaugh:

Thinking of just having a few days there as a reccie trip - I know the island can take a couple of weeks to fully explore.

Could anyone recommend somewhere to stay that is reasonable?? Happy with a pub / motel.

Best places to visit??

Best places to eat???

Going with our car on the ferry , it does seem pricey. Are there special offers now and again??

Probably do this during the week so might nab some discount???

As soon as it cools down a little we shall be off - plus looking forward to getting back up into the Flinders this Autumn as well!!:jiggy::jiggy:

Thanks in advance.............

If you've got the entertainment book, there's a voucher in there for the ferry, although still about $250. We stayed in Emu bay which was lovely and so quite. I think we saw about 3 other people the whole time we were there. Somewhere near Kingscote would be a good base as once you leave there is nothing for supplies really.

We were there for 3 days and managed to see most of the attractions and were back before dusk each evening for a picnic on the beach.

I think the ozone hotel has vouchers in the entertainment book too, which is in Kingscote.

I have seen the ferry have special offers at times - maybe out of the summer months though. I beleve when we booked our long weekend in KI (April) that we got the ferry pretty cheap as it was in a package with the hotel. The 'South Australian SHORTS' (although I have an old copy) also has tours which include the cost of the ferry in its pricing. I have not been on a tour though so do not know if they are worth it.

Just a note to those who have not been, there was a main road that goes from Penneshaw to Kingscote, 2 main roads that went from Kingscote and go via different points on way to Flinders National Park and most of the other roads are UNSEALED - ie not suitable for a mazda2! If you want to explore the island properly you will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle (which we cleverly left in the garage at home!)

If you do a search on this forum Tyke, you might find some previous posts on KI. One being mine from 2007 but it hasn't changed much since then. http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/out-about-sa/497-kangaroo-island-photos.html. We went for the third time back in November 2011, this time staying at Western KI Caravan Park in a cabin for the first night, and would definitely stay here again (our second stay at this place) and stayed in luxury at the Ozone for the second night, tip for this place is that you need to book the new part of the hotel which is actually across the road from the pub, we had a luxury sea view room.

I wouldn't bother with Seal Bay, it is expensive and you can see seals for free down at Admirals Arch. Definitely recommend a visit to the Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery. Not done Pauls Place, the last show is at 1pm and we never managed to get there in time but people do highly recommend this attraction. And you must go and see Remarkable Rocks, if you don't go there its like going to Egypt and not seeing the Pyramids! Take time out to climb Prospect Hill (tip: take a bottle of water with you!). When/if you stay in Kingscote, book your restaurant as they can book up fast. The Ozone does nice enough food. Go and see the Pelicans being fed every night down at Kingscote wharf, he charges a gold coin donation now but it is a good show. We also did the penguin tour in Kingscote but there aren't many penguins left! Got to see a couple of penguins though. It does get pretty chilly at night, take some warm clothes just in case. There's nothing much in Penneshaw so leave the sightseeing until the day you leave! If you arrive early for your ferry, you can pop into the Sealink office and get on a standby for an earlier one.

It's a great trip, enjoy it!

Hi Tyke

We have just got back from a 6 day trip to KI and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Western KI Caravan park, they have little log cabins to stay in or u can camp. It was such a beautiful place to stay, wildlife everywhere Koalas, Roos etc.

Must see places are Remarkable rocks and Admirals arch. West bay which is through the Flinders Chase pretty ruff road but 4x4 is good for it.

Hanson Bay and Vivonne Bay. We just hit the road and followed little tracks and found some beautiful beaces everywhere.

Stokes Bay is gorgeous as is Snellings Beach. Pennington Bay is wild and wooly but Fabulous.

You will love the peace and quiet.. its lovely!!

Have fun

Heidi xx

Its much bigger than you think so stay somewhere central. I've just returned from staying in Vivonne Bay - very nice but food is hard to get so stock up at the supermarket in Pennishaw (or maybe it was Kingscote). Driving at night is a splat fest and not recommended. Most of the roads are unsealed although would easily be passable in any 2WD car. Kids or no kids Peter Place in very very good and funny - its an animal reserve unlike any other. Be prepared to pay over the odds for everything. 4 days is probably long enough.

Guest Guest75
Its much bigger than you think so stay somewhere central. I've just returned from staying in Vivonne Bay - very nice but food is hard to get so stock up at the supermarket in Pennishaw (or maybe it was Kingscote). Driving at night is a splat fest and not recommended. Most of the roads are unsealed although would easily be passable in any 2WD car. Kids or no kids Peter Place in very very good and funny - its an animal reserve unlike any other. Be prepared to pay over the odds for everything. 4 days is probably long enough.

"Splat fest" - Love it. Now yer talkin'. From someone that has just returned from the UK after shooting Poo out of large amounts of Pheasant,like the sound of Peter's Place!

Tyke,

You've got to try the Marron at the Andermel Cafe (Central) best seafood platter i've ever had!!

If you get to Pauls place volunteer to be used to feed the Emu's (but don't wear white clothing)

We taking my parents over in March and staying in Emu bay.

Hope you you enjoy the trip

Darren