What to do with kids when it's too hot to be outside?

Guest GoJo

Hi,

Struggling with where to go with kids (girl 4.5 and boy 8 months) on the really hot days -especially as I also get paranoid about sun protection. We are in Seacliff. The library entertains for about half an hour only. Marion is a nightmare with my daughter (also rather tired of going there). We haven't tried the swimming centre yet because of the school holidays but we might try next week.

Any other ideas?

Guest moonraker1959

Hi GoJo,I can't help with outside kids activites,as I never lived up your way,but what about starting an activity box?The kids and I got a strong cardboard box,which we decorated.During term time I would once a week buy crafty type items to put in the box.It could be paints,felt material,glitter,toilet rolls,egg boxes,texta's(felt tip pens)coloured pencils and so on.Then when the holidays started,we would go to our local library and borrow kids books that had templates ect to make things,and then use the activity box.We had hours of fun,and its something you could do either inside or sat outside in the shade.What about the kids helping you make something to eat?You could look up some interesting no bake recipes for slices ect,or different salads ect.Sometimes I would give the kids an adult paint brush,with a bucket of water and let them paint pictures outside on the walls?Of course this is'nt suitable for your 18mth old!Have you got access to a baby/group in your area?What about buying a paddling pool?I'm sure if your 4 yr old was kept busy,your baby would be interested,if only for short periods.I wish my kids were that young again.I loved that time in my life!lol

Guest seekingsunshine

The new swim centre at Marion is great-we went on saturday morning and it was busy but not too bad-still really good :) i think there is a playzone near you at marion too, or theres one at glenelg :)

maybe put a post on AdelaideBabyBargains and ask local mums for their suggestions - its a great site :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I particularly like the idea of the cinema as that will kill a good chunk of time, particularly if we have lunch/coffee afterwards!

Jo