Surf lifesaving clubs and beach volleyball

Guest Dr Scotland

Guest Dr Scotland

Hi, does anyone have any experience of any of the surf lifesaving club? Have had a look at the websites of Glenelg, Brighton, and Port Noarlunga. Keen on the idea of doing some part-time lifesaving although I don't have any qualifications yet, and I want to try those surf boats. Looks a blast. And it's not just about wearing a small funny-looking cap and speedoes. Do you know if you can join them for training, even if you don't do any regular lifesaving?

My wife is really into volleyball and would like to play as much beach volleyball as possible. Does anyone know of where people play beach on a regular basis?

Thanks

Simon

hi simon

ive been a member of christies beach club for three years now.they will do all the training with you all you need to do is put in a bit of effort,when i started i was a shocking swimmer but with a bit of training it soon comes.there is board,ski and swimming training on most nights of the week and the gym if you want to use it.you can do as much or little as you want,patrols are on sat and sun arvos 12.30-5pm we have one arvo every three weeks.then youve got the nippers which is for kids aged 5-14.all in all its a good place for fitness and social.cheers mark.

My husband is a life guard down at Seacliff. He did his bronze award and was roped in immediately. It was done over a period of weeks with final exams and tests and was what kept him from going insane whilst looking for a job. To get to go in the boat is a whole other course. My oldest does Nippers and enjoys it. It's a lovely thing to be involved in and a great way to meet people.

Hth

Sarah

Hi, does anyone have any experience of any of the surf lifesaving club? Have had a look at the websites of Glenelg, Brighton, and Port Noarlunga. Keen on the idea of doing some part-time lifesaving although I don't have any qualifications yet, and I want to try those surf boats. Looks a blast. And it's not just about wearing a small funny-looking cap and speedoes. Do you know if you can join them for training, even if you don't do any regular lifesaving?

My wife is really into volleyball and would like to play as much beach volleyball as possible. Does anyone know of where people play beach on a regular basis?

Thanks

Simon

Glenelg for beach volley ball :)

I am a member at Moana SLSC and although I don't row, you do have to have your Bronze Medallion (BM) and have a certain number of patrol hours before they let you train. Now, that is Moana but to compete as an adult in SLSC's, you have have the BM but I am not sure about patrol hours for all clubs - suspect this maybe the case.

I am going to my Bronze over this winter which means I'll do some patrols next season and water cover for some surf life saving carnivals - probably just Nippers. There is another clubbie on here who has her Bronze (go girl) and she's a Portie. Moana has the best beach, even the posh clubs agree :)

I am a convert, the whole scene is just great and what a great way to keep fit, meet people and be part of a superb organisation.

Cheers,

Cooler

Surf life saving is a good way to get involved in the community, keep fit and meet people. You only have to do your Bronze once, then each season do a proficiency test to prove you are up to speed with everything. It doesn't matter how old or young you are (there are some real oldies who still keep fit and compete at the masters), or necessarily how good you are - you can take it really seriously and compete at State and National level or it can just be a casual thing. The boaties are a different breed though (totally mad!) - I've seen some boats spill in rough surf so it is certainly not for the faint-hearted.

See http://www.surfrescue.com.au/

Guest Dr Scotland

Excellent! Sounds amazing. What does training involve? Is it just swimming or also beach running, drills, etc? I can swim not too badly, but nothing like these Ozzies who all can swim like fish from birth :-)

• 7 months later...
Guest graandjac

come on the surf ski is not that hard lol............surf Life Saving Is great to get into at any age.....5 to 65 I am involved at South Port......all the clubs have a very different feel and its worth visiting a few before you decide who to join , every club has its advantages and disadvantages...... trying be be very diplomatic lol....at the end of the day everyone thinks their club is the best. ......I am the member/parent Liaison officer at South Port any questions and i am more than happy to help you out pm me any time cheers Graham