Road Cycling - Cycling Clubs?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi there

does anyone know of any cycling clubs that are worth joining. I'm mid-40's so I do it for the scenery and personal fitness. I'm pretty serious about cycling in general tho. I have a Canondale CAAD 4 with a mountain bike groupset and an 'old' Trek Alpha 1000. My top mileage is about 120 in one day but that was a special day out doing the circuit of the cotswolds. On average I do between 40 and 60 any time I go out. I'm looking to up the ante a little with an improvement of weather. also, what are motorists views of cyclists, are they more anti than pro? Is it as dangerous to cycle over in Oz as it is in UK, or is it a cycle-friendly place like some of the majore cycling European countries such as Holland, France, Belgium, Italy etc? Your thoughts please would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alan;)

Guest Libby1971

You must have nerves of steel to even think about cycling with these nutters in their cars. QUite honestly I wouldn't risk it. I haven't seen many cyclists until the Tour Down Under when they all came out and have gone back in again!!

Hills are a premium here, the only flat bits are McLaren Vale and you might be diverted by some great wineries down there.

I am not sure how popular cyclists are but can't say that they are safe on the roads, IMO.

This is the Stupid State and nowhere is this mroe obvious than with the Aussies in the cars. I would wait till you get here nad make a decision then. Someone else will have more sensible advice though, I am sure. OOOHH, a family (also on PIA) recently opened a shop in Old Reynella called Tailwind cycles so ask them.

Libby

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Alan,

I can't be any specific help, and whilst Libby's comments are quite true on the busy roads, there are also some great places to cycle too.

There is a decent route around Hallett cover which follows the southern Express way, you can also cycle from West beach up the torrens river right up to the Hills, also from Waterfall gully to mount lofty or for a good flat run from the outer harbour to Seacliff. In the tourist information booths are leaflets on cycle routes.

There will be cubs too, i know there are Road Race clubs as they descend on Glenelg every sunday and you can't get into the cafe's for all the cyclists...

I have no doubt others will know a lot more though...

Hi Alan

I have been over here for about 8 months now and brought my bike over - it is huge here at the moment - combination of summer and Tour Down Under.

I joined a triathlon club and they have a couple of rides on a saturday from the city - normally a long one into the hills and a flat one across to the coast then down to Glenelg for a coffee and back (around 50k). On a typical saturday you will see several hundred riders out from individuals to groups of 30+. If I don't do this ride I generally head up to Mt Lofty which is about a 40k round trip from the city, pretty much all uphill (you go past the Eagle on the Hill Mountain Bike which I haven't been to yet which has heaps of tracks) Apart for the last couple of kms, it is all on the Crafers Bikeway which is separated from cars.

Take a look at www.bikesa.asn.au which covers on and off road cycling.

There are lots of bike paths around but you have to be a bit careful as the drivers don't tend to look out much. I would say it is no less safe than cycling in the UK but most of my riding has been nearer the city and into the Adelaide Hills. There is a separated bike path along the southern expressway as well, though I haven't used it.

Car drivers attitudes vary - some give you a wide berth, some will throw things at you (my mate had a small esky thrown at him last saturday, but most probably haven't seen you as they are on the phone.

There are hundreds of bike shops around and they are all very helpful. Prices seem a bit high compared to UK. Most people tend to order online from UK. Companies like www.probikekit.com will deliver in a week or so.

It's probably worth doing a search of local bike clubs in the area you are looking at and sending them a mail or going on their forum - they will almost certainly be very helpful.

Richard

Lots to think about - are you ever likely to race - it seems quite a complicated system here? if not, join a club local to your area, there are a few main ones, and lots of little sponsored groups. There is a large VETs network here and you are a VET at 35+. There is a large veloway network and well marked and surfaced cycle tracks - roads no worse than UK, still have dickheads who will try to open their car door into you. As the previous poster mentions BikeSA is a great place to start.

Regards bits for your bike - complete bikes tend to be cheaper here, some componentry is more expensive (wholesale prices higher). However, I forsee that the hundreds of helpful local bike shops are likely to disappear thanks to people like PBK.

• 1 month later...
Guest alan smallman

Hi

apologies for not thanking you for your reply - Just discovered all the replies to my original thread! Need to learn how to use this site more!!

Alan

Guest alan smallman

I'd rather have it like it is so I know what to expect when I get out there. so thanks for your honesty and for taking an interest in my initial question.

Cheers

Alan