Kangaroo Island

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Hello all,

I've just got back from working on KI for a week. What an amazing place. I have basically driven around the island, both on land and sea for a week and been paid to do it! I've seen the most beautiful coastline and reckon I might move there (I think work sent me there to say this is what it's like, do you wanna go there?). I caught heaps of fish, saw pods of dolphins doing what adult dolphins do (very frisky!) and the other wildlife is unbelievable. The Remarkable Rocks are something else, the seals are smelly but great and the fairy penguins make a racket at night! The locals are really friendly, my second night in the pub they'd poured a pint of pale for the pommie before I'd even made it to the bar!

So get your bums over to KI, it's only 50 mins on the ferry...Got loads more photos just crap internet living country so takes a while to upload...

Damo

P1070159.jpg

P1070202.jpg

P1070234.jpg

Guest Jennet
Hello all,

I've just got back from working on KI for a week. What an amazing place. I have basically driven around the island, both on land and sea for a week and been paid to do it! I've seen the most beautiful coastline and reckon I might move there (I think work sent me there to say this is what it's like, do you wanna go there?). I caught heaps of fish, saw pods of dolphins doing what adult dolphins do (very frisky!) and the other wildlife is unbelievable. The Remarkable Rocks are something else, the seals are smelly but great and the fairy penguins make a racket at night! The locals are really friendly, my second night in the pub they'd poured a pint of pale for the pommie before I'd even made it to the bar!

So get your bums over to KI, it's only 50 mins on the ferry...Got loads more photos just crap internet living country so takes a while to upload...

Damo

sounds like you had a fab time, i work in the animal industry and my ambition will be to visit Kangaroo island, i want to learn the OZ culture and wildlife, what working project was you doing if you don't mind me asking.

Probably ought to go back there for a second trip - we went in October the first year we were here and I have to admit I've never seen so much roadkill!

Put me off the place a little I admit - don't like to see so much wildlife coming off worse in the battle with all the coach drivers and tourists who hurtle around the place trying to see as much as possible in as short a time as possible. I think it's a lot bigger than most people expect, and lots of tourist places seem to offer day trips which imho is trying to do too much.

Out of season last year the ferry company was offering special deals on crossings, so worth keeping an eye out in the press.

Guest Damien

Hi Jennet,

I was working with the Northern Zone Rock Lobster fishery. And yes, there's so much road kill there it is a bit sad but there's not much traffic, even with the dopey tourists, just goes to show how much wildlife there is there. The only predators are the wedgies, there's no foxes so plenty of possums!

Apparently the ferry is the most expensive in the world, well worth it though if you've never been.

Damo

Guest Guest75

Cheers for the report Damo. What a job you have!!!

Yep the ferry price is the killer I'm afraid.

We have not been over yet, it's on the list though!!