Adelaide weather

Guest Dr Scotland

Is the weather in Adelaide unpredictable?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is the weather in Adelaide unpredictable?

• No
    • Yes, in winter
    • Yes, outside of summer
    • Yes, all year round

Guest Dr Scotland

Someone posted on another thread that the weather in Adelaide is unpredictable. Do you agree?

Edited by Dr Scotland

Guest Guest75

I don't think it's too unpredictable. Looks like there is a long cycle over 10's of years here.

Last couple of summers have deffo been cooler.

Perhaps Mother Nature just refuses to fit into the calendar that we impose??

Not bad for Autumn today!! 30c and blue skies!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I think maybe with the exception of Perth, Adelaide's weather is the most stable, and Perth isn't that much different.

Our summers are dry and are generally in the late 20's, we get some cooler days, but also some scorching days. Winters are generally wetter, and the evening temperatures are cool. I understand if you organise a BBQ you cannot guarantee you won't need a jacket or fleece as even the summer evenings can be cool to sit outside, but you can be pretty sure it'll be dry.

Compare this to the eastern state cities, they get torrents of rain during their summers, tropical hail storms and they can still be cool in the winters. Even Brisbane can get frost if you are away from the coast. In fairness though they don't have the huge temperature fluctuations we do. Whilst in Coffs Harbour during the summer, it was never hotter than mid 20's, but never cooler than low 20's. During the same time Adelaide had a couple of days in the mid 30's and a few in the low 20's.

Have I just ruined my own argument ?

Guest Guest5035
Whilst in Coffs Harbour during the summer, it was never hotter than mid 20's, but never cooler than low 20's. During the same time Adelaide had a couple of days in the mid 30's and a few in the low 20's.

Have I just ruined my own argument ?

yes.:huh:

stevo

Guest pennyblack

Yes I would call it changeable rather than unpredictable. the weather forecasts are usually spot on. unlike the Uk where they cover all bases. ie windy, sunny with a few scattered showers.

Guest bigal

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm............... maybe I could, maybe I couldn't, you might say I'm a little unpredictable myself, one thing we can rely on, as sure as eggs is eggs, the sun will be up there again tomorrow.

Guest Dr Scotland

Just find it interesting :-) And don't want to have unrealistic expectations. It does seem a lot to do with peoples' perspectives and expectations. Probably difficult to compare to the south of Spain or France, since most of us only spend a couple of weeks a year there. I find it interesting how peoples' perspectives match up or differ from the facts and figures of climate data. December, January and February were hotter, on average, than the previous 30 years, so it's interesting to hear people say that it's been a bad summer.

Anyway, keep the poll results coming in. It seems to reflect perspective more than anything...which is still interesting!

35 degrees for autumn (5/4/12) just seems insane from this end of the world...

It was a nice day, although temps dropped sharply from the following day - 18º at the moment (1:10pm). The 35 year average for April is 12.4º minimum and 22.6º maximum.

To be fair, the first month of autumn was very pleasant, with six days over 30º in March and 14 days below 25º.

No doubt Adelaide meets the technical criteria of a Med climate, but so far I haven't found the summers anything like as consistent as most Med places I've visited, but then I've never spent four and a half years in one go in any of them, so not a totally fair comparison. Certainly it gets more summer rainfall than a lot of Med places (about three times wetter than mainland Greece, six times wetter than many Greek Isles and parts of Spain such as Malaga).

Jim