Great ocean road to melbourne - recommendations needed

Guest adelaideinjuly

Guest adelaideinjuly

We were thinking of taking great ocean road on our way to melbourne and spending the night at any hotel/carvan park in the way

any recommendations , sightseeing , road map , place to stay night

thanks

nahla

Guest yogi64

The best way to do it is, take your time, there's lots of places to stop, great views around every corner, nice little coves to explore and good cafés.

Mike

We've been a few times and stayed at various spots. Colac, Port Campbell & Apollo Bay. (Lorne is nice but we haven't stayed there). We have a caravan and so stayed at a powered site. They were all good. Apollo Bay while being quite touristy is very convenient and you don't have to deviate if you are on your way to Melbourne and you can see many of the fantastic sites on the Great Ocean Road if you haven't got a lot of time to spare which is what we did on our first trip. On other trips we have stayed at Port Campbell which was very nice but not as handy to what we wanted to explore but was all we could find because it was in their busy season. Overall our favourite was the area of Colac which we stayed in an average looking caravan park but which was excellently located. I can't comment on the cabin accommodation because we were in our Caravan but it had all the facilities we needed. While the Great Ocean Road is spectacular in itself on subsequent visits we have gone a bit indepth and Visited the Otway area with some fantastic old forests and walks. A few links below on accommodation options we stayed at and also a good one on Tourist info from Victoria. I really love that area it is so invigorating - ......I wish I could go now! ....http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road/Activities-and-attractions/Nature-and-wildlife.aspx and http://www.caravanparksvictoria.com/colac.htm and http://pchp.com.au/port-campbell/home/accommodation/information1 enjoy.....

When we did our trip (October 2010), we were told to go from Melbourne back to Adelaide that way round as you are on the right side of the road so to speak. We hired a campervan and stayed at various sites along the way.

I loved most of the places we visited, Bells Beach, Anglesea, Lorne and Port Douglas etc.

The best part of the road is in Victoria after that it gets a bit dull in comparison so we went in land to the Grampians for a 2 nights to break up the journey.

By far the best little place we stayed was at http://www.kennettriver.com/, lovely quiet campsite and family run place. Parrots that come and eat from your hand :smile:

Found it difficult to be as close to Apollo bay as I would have liked but lovely spot and definitely worth visiting. Went down to Cape Otway but did not pay to go see the Lighthouse but it's a beautiful park for walks etc

Will add a few photos of the trip :smile:

IMG_1671.jpg Lighthouse at Spit point betweem Anglesea and Lorne

IMG_1739.jpg Somewhere on the road..

IMG_1745.jpg Kennett river

IMG_1840.jpg Apollo Bay & 12 Apostles

IMG_1893.jpg