Beaches in and around Adelaide

Guest ali

Hi guys,

Which of the beaches in Adelaide are the safest? I mean in terms of shark attacks, etc etc.

Which ones are more popular, eg on the beach and the restaurants/bars, have sporting activities...

From what I understand Henley beach is the most crowded/popular? Yet I could be wrong.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neeks

i dont think you can call any the safest,

they have the helicopter go over shark spotting and sometimes the lifeboats,but as far as i no there isnt any shark nets on the beaches,

its just one of those things,and i think you have more chance of being bit by a redback or a brown snake then being eaten by a shark

they say dont swim in dawn or dusk as thats there feeding times

I'll take that in mind neeks, thanks. No swimming around dawn or dusk. Are the beaches fun? Any beach football/volleyball type of activities happening on the beaches?:smile:

Guest neeks

i havent seen any yet but im sure there is

we like henley beach as the water is calm most of the time and it feels warmer lol,

we also go to kinston park beach as the kids love crabbing there,

we go to christies beach but its a dog beach and some owners have no control over them and it scares my kids when they come bounding over.

we like henley beach as the water is calm most of the time and it feels warmer lol,

OK neeks, I think Henley beach might be my preferred location as well. Thanks for the tip. Since I like dogs I might try Christies beach as well, :biggrin:

Depends what you're looking for in a beach! You probably know they run all the way Down the west side of Adelaide, so all are pretty good for watching glorious sunsets. If you want warm safe water on balmy evening, then you can take your pick from any of the metropolitan beaches (Semaphore, Glenelg, Brighton, West Beach, Henley...to name just a few..the further south you go the more rocky and less sandy the beaches get, till you get well out of the metro area)...if you want to sip a glass of wine whilst spotting dolphins then Glenelg is good, as is Brighton or Henley.... if you want fantastic fish and chips and a bit of a funfair just on the foreshore, then Semaphore is the one to head for... if you want a great place to go for a nice cafe lunch before a walk or a swim on pristine sands then my recommendation would be Normanville in the south.... and if you want a picture postcard cove with great waves and a bif ot jettydiving thrown in (with again, great fish and chips nearby) then head for somewhere called Horseshoe Bay down towards Victor Harbor/Middleton. We've spent a couple of great Christmas Days down at West Beach - easy parking, picnic areas (with free bbqs) and plenty of space on the beach, which has never been particularly crowded. As has been mentioned, the national beach volleyball competition is held annually at Glenelg - for a whole different kind of scenery ;-) - but the rest of the year you'll always find people playing beach cricket or kicking a ball around, and at certain times of year there are also kite festivals and sand sculpture competitions on various beaches, depending on how proactive the local council is.

Most beaches insist on dogs being on a lead during summer months between sunrise and sunset - and to be honest, on the few 'dog beaches' I've been on, not only are the off lead dogs sometimes out of control, but some owners are less fastidious than I'd like in terms of clearing up after them - at least when a dog is on the lead it's hard for an owner to claim to be unaware of what their dog has deposited! Only one beach where I've found this though so I may be generalising!!

Kite surfing is also popular, and sailing and windsurfing. And down south around Victor again the surf is better for proper surfing, and it's also a great place for seal and whale watching in the winter months (but as has been said, seals are quite a popular diet item on certain predators' menus, so where there are seals, there may be sharks - my tactic when in the sea is to always make sure at least one person is a little deeper than me!) but generally you're just as likely to see dolphins as sharks!

Depends what you're looking for in a beach! You probably know they run all the way Down the west side of Adelaide, so all are pretty good for watching glorious sunsets. If you want warm safe water on balmy evening, then you can take your pick from any of the metropolitan beaches (Semaphore, Glenelg, Brighton, West Beach, Henley...to name just a few..the further south you go the more rocky and less sandy the beaches get, till you get well out of the metro area)...if you want to sip a glass of wine whilst spotting dolphins then Glenelg is good, as is Brighton or Henley.... if you want fantastic fish and chips and a bit of a funfair just on the foreshore, then Semaphore is the one to head for... if you want a great place to go for a nice cafe lunch before a walk or a swim on pristine sands then my recommendation would be Normanville in the south.... and if you want a picture postcard cove with great waves and a bif ot jettydiving thrown in (with again, great fish and chips nearby) then head for somewhere called Horseshoe Bay down towards Victor Harbor/Middleton. We've spent a couple of great Christmas Days down at West Beach - easy parking, picnic areas (with free bbqs) and plenty of space on the beach, which has never been particularly crowded. As has been mentioned, the national beach volleyball competition is held annually at Glenelg - for a whole different kind of scenery ;-) - but the rest of the year you'll always find people playing beach cricket or kicking a ball around, and at certain times of year there are also kite festivals and sand sculpture competitions on various beaches, depending on how proactive the local council is.

Most beaches insist on dogs being on a lead during summer months between sunrise and sunset - and to be honest, on the few 'dog beaches' I've been on, not only are the off lead dogs sometimes out of control, but some owners are less fastidious than I'd like in terms of clearing up after them - at least when a dog is on the lead it's hard for an owner to claim to be unaware of what their dog has deposited! Only one beach where I've found this though so I may be generalising!!

Kite surfing is also popular, and sailing and windsurfing. And down south around Victor again the surf is better for proper surfing, and it's also a great place for seal and whale watching in the winter months (but as has been said, seals are quite a popular diet item on certain predators' menus, so where there are seals, there may be sharks - my tactic when in the sea is to always make sure at least one person is a little deeper than me!) but generally you're just as likely to see dolphins as sharks!

Wow, very informative and through Diane, thank you. I was picturing the beaches while reading your post and planning on different activities when I get there. Kites I like, kicking the ball around...that's my thinbeg, beach volleyball I would like to learn :P

The only place in the world that I've seen dog owners take full responsibility for their dogs behavior/left-overs is Japan. Still this is no excuse for owners to be this ignorant and irresponsible.

I will never swim near seals. Not a big fan of being torn apart:err:

Thank you again Diane for this informative post. I appreciate it:smile:

Guest Guest75

Some beach piccies.

All down south but not that far away.

Carrickalinga

DSC00033.jpg

Rapid Bay ( campsite right on the beach as well!)

DSC00052.jpg

Southport Beach at Port noarlunga...........

tonyandtykespictures081.jpg

Now picnics are fun even more so when you're with a fun bunch. Can't wait to put to good use my bbq skills on the beaches you recommended there Tyke. Thanks a lot:smile:

You are just showing off now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Nice piccies.

Yep, particularly as I was up before 5.30am to get the one at Seacliff. Snapped it on the way back to the car from the Dawn Service at Brighton.

The prospect of collecting my bottle of wine for winning a photo competition on FB has gone to my head already! (Adelaide Hills/Stirling Garden Festival)

here's few more from Noarlunga to Aldinga

Beautiful pictures guys. Specially the dawn/dusk shots. I can smell the sea breeze in them. Thanks for sharing:smile:

Guest Guest75

A view towards Hove / Somerton Park, never seen the water as calm!

2012-03-28-049.jpg

Myponga Village ............... way out but a nice little beach.

09032012778.jpg

Hallett Cover

21072011288.jpg

Guest Guest75
Do share more Tyke. Beautiful pictures. I need to buy a worthwhile camera so I can join the rivalry out there :wink::smile:

Most of mine are taken on my Nokia N8 mobile phone. It has a terrific 12MP camera,it's the main reason I bought it.