Fiji - Any info would help !

Hi all,

I am looking at the possibility of going to Fiji for a short break in July/August. As I begin looking into booking flights and accomodation, I realise that I know little/nothing about the place. Plus, the first line of research I read stated that Fiji consists of 330 islands. Then my eyes glazed over and I though 'oh s**t' !

Has anyone got any recommendations, tips, experiences etc etc..., please ? Anything constructive would be greatly appreciated. Even flight suggestions, websites, hotels, places to avoid.... Just looking for a warm (not too expensive) week away by a beach with the kids, so am open to other destinations. I guess I have just realised how little I know this part of the world geographically. :embarressed:

Many thanks

Paul

(ps. planning this as a surprise for OH, so if you know her, please keep mum, thank you)

We liked Plantation Island - not luxury standard but great for kids. Stayed at Naviti as well which was good especially as they do an all inclusive package: went downhill for a couple of years I understand but now much better apparently. Have a look at www.tripadviser.com (put a few hotel names in and read the reviews) and keep an eye on www.travelonline.com for deals. If you are staying on the islands though, check arrival times for flights as you may have to stay near the airport first night and then catch a transfer the next day. Here's my review of Plantation Island http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g308256-d309584-r62809948-Plantation_Island_Resort-Malolo_Lailai_Island_Mamanuca_Islands.html

Guest Guest75

Only called in on a cruise but...................

Suva, the capital. An amazing ,bustling place. The "true" face of Fiji. Lots of old colonial buildings falling in bits. Loads of large ,scary soldiers wearing skirts (yes skirts) but looking scary and carrying guns.

The traffic is mad.

The food market is something else, genuine native people just trying to make a living.

If you get chance - catch the changing of the guard at Government House - it is truly amazing, we were given pride of place by an officer with fond memories for his memories of his military training in the UK - and his love of the commonwealth!!

People are in general very friendly - use the word BULA! - it's a greeting - you will get fed up of hearing it.

Denerau, this is the tourist side of Fiji. Even have a Hard Rock Cafe there. Lovely resort but felt it could have been anywhere warm with palm trees.

We have been a couple of times and would recommend Staying around Nadi. We stayed at the Sheraton it was lovely.

better weather at that side of the island . The first time we stayed nearer Suva it was rainy and of course Suva is a dump.

Cheers Elaine. Just checked out Nadi. It looks beautiful.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

did you go or have you booked yet?? we have just come back from 15 nights in Fiji had an awsome time!!!!

stayed for 5 nights at Plantation island in a beachfront bure on the recommendation from Diane on this site it was fantastic. not top notch luxury but very comfortable and clean. Acacia our 8 year old just loved it, the kids club is great and you can snorkle off the beach with a coral reef very close so great for first timers and kids to practice on we had the meal deal a bit basic but plenty of it and the staff were great as was the weather, lovely and warm 27 - 32 every day but a bit cooler at night, then stayed 10 nights at the Hilton in Denerau, luxury hotel 5 pools, nice restuarants, very friendly and helpful staff, but normal resort style hotel, again great for the kids but pricey for food. fantastic alround, make sure you get to an island even if its just a day trip, we went to South Sea island for the day, again a true coral island big reef to explore we saw a turtle and small reef sharks and just 100's of fish, they even had a sub boat to view the reef if you didnt want to get wet!!!

Really recommend it, been back nearly a week now and still havent lost the shine of the holiday LOVED IT XXX

Kim

:wubclub:

Edited by Damms

Hi Diane

Yes they were fantastic really genuinely friendly and they just loved my daughter.

If I remember rightly you were going to go to Vanuatu this year, did you go yet? would be interested to hear your thoughts, as we are already looking for next winters holiday there or maybe Phuket....

Kim

x

Hi Kim

Yes we went to Vanuatu in April. We stayed at Hideaway Island. The family thought it was great - both kids got their PADI open water dive license while they were there, and the snorkelling and diving was fantastic. I did find things quite a bit more expensive than Fiji there though. Here is my review of the place on TA http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294144-d311949-r129013125-Hideaway_Island_Resort-Port_Vila_Efate.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT (I hope) I think personally (I don't dive) I preferred Fiji, though - not sure why and OH feels the opposite. We did all end up with stomach bugs after this holiday so perhaps that's influencing my thoughts a bit!

Edited by Diane