Travel from Australia to NZ- resident return visas

Guest Kelly O

Guest Kelly O

Hi

We are a family of 4 with permanent residency visas. We moved here from Surrey in 2009 and therefore cannot apply for Australian citizenship until next year. We are planning a trip to NZ on Boxing Day but just wondered if anyone could answer this question- Do we all need resident return visas or just myself and my husband? Our children are 9 and 11. I looked on the website and 5 yr resident return visas seem to be one price of $300. My husband already has one as he has travelled outside Australia himself. I am thinking that we need to get one for myself and our sons. It indicates on the immigration website that prices may rise on 1st July, so I was thinking I will get them now seeing as it seems we may have to buy 3. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi there, I thought that most visas were for a period of 5 years so if you only moved out in 2009 then your permanent visa should still be valid? If this is the case then you shouldn't need a RRV, this is only necessary when the original visa has expired. I am sure that someone will let you know if I am wrong.

Margaret

Guest Kelly O

Yes that would be the case but we activated our visas in 2004 and didn't move out here til a month before they expired....thereby making them invalid shortly after coming here.

Thanks though Margaret .

We did the same but actually came after the visa had expired. We applied for an RRV to come and live here and were very lucky to get it. Applying is really easy but I understand the cost implications are high especially with a bigger family. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Guest Kelly O

Crush family, this was not a stupid question .....We were granted a 136 PR visa in May 2004 which we activated with a six week trip. Then we returned to the UK and did not make the move out here due to various issues until April 2009. It states on our visas we are 'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely'... this only becomes an issue should you wish to leave the country and get back into Australia before becoming Aussie citizens.

Guest lebour
Crush family, this was not a stupid question .....We were granted a 136 PR visa in May 2004 which we activated with a six week trip. Then we returned to the UK and did not make the move out here due to various issues until April 2009. It states on our visas we are 'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely'... this only becomes an issue should you wish to leave the country and get back into Australia before becoming Aussie citizens.

If you havent left the country in last 3 years are you not eligible for Citizenship now.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

Actually I have checked the calculator and you will be eligible for citizenship. Depending on how much time your OH has left the country he might be eligible too. It may be better that you use the money to apply for your citizenship and new aus passports than a RRV.

Lawful residence would start when you validated your visa - and you are allowed 12 months out of country therefore as you entered again April 2009 you would be eligible for citizenship April 2012.

Edited by lebour